New Belts

Chuck Ellis

I know that sometimes our friends here need to buy new belts for their lathes and other equipment... the belt on my Jet 1552 is beginning to fray and just a matter of time before it breaks... I called my normal source for lathe belts..

The Belt Store in Lafayette, LA....(I have No affiliation other than being a regular customer).... The lady in charge there knew immediately what to ask to I would get the right belts... I order 3 belts on Friday 12/4... they arrived out here in the sticks on Monday 12/7... Including shipping the three belts were under $30. Same belts as provided by Jet at twice the cost.

Now comes the fun of putting them on... a little more complicated than when I changed belt on the 1014... The manual actually says that it should be done by a certified technician.. and to remove the headstock and take it to a repair shop... Yeah.. about an 80 or 100 lbs headstock... it won't fit in a flat rate box.:D

1442?

Yeah, that's a project unto itself, with the Reeves drive. You can do it, though - I KNOW ya can. Heck, you HAFTA'. :)

Might hold off on it till it's gotta' get done, though.

Try this: Run it & raise the speed as high as it'll go, then shut it off. That'll have pushed the Reeves sheave on the spindle as far out as it'll go. Cut a block of wood just big enough to hold that sheave apart. Now when you crank the speed back down (lathe NOT running) the motor sheave should open up as far as IT will go. At that point, it may be fairly easy to slip the old belt off & the new one on.

Be sure to yank that block of wood outta' there before you try to start it... :)

Good idea... might try that. I have the instruction manual and the instructions for changing the belt printed off the computer so I'll have reference when I do start...
It's about 30 deg in the shop, so not really interesteding in getting started on the change yet... I may have to change the belt pretty soon though.. I seem to be getting a little chatter on the head stock that the frayed belt might be causing....