Display case for model train – need an idea

Up until now I have pretty much only build quick items for the garage (workshop).
Now with a week of between Christmas and New Year I would like to try and build something other than just a simple plywood carcass on casters (if I can get some garage time), so I was thinking of building a simple display case for my model train.
Something like this (#1)
http://www.tracksidetrains.com/Graphics/C-60-MARX-LG.jpg
or this (#2)
http://www.woodstore.net/allaroundtable.html

The display case will be about 5’ long, 4” deep and .. don’t know how tall.
I would like to try dovetail for the joinery, but I don’t have a jig, and I’m not sure I have the skill to hand cut them (never tried it), so I might end up with a simple rabbet join as #1.

Where I need some ideas is for the door. I can’t decided if I should go with 2 sliding plexi glass doors, or if I should have a hinged frame plexi glass door, hinged at the bottom.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Jesper

That would depend if you foresee a lot of movement in those doors.

To me sliding doors tend to seal less the cabinet and allow for dust gettin in, besides I find them rather uncomfortable to use because you can only reach half of the cabinet contents.

I would go for a complete door with piano hinges, or one with two vanes but with a very thin frame on the center.

I might suggest using magnets? If you build the front of the box as a single assembly (outer frame and window) and embed some neodiymium magnets in it, you should have no trouble having it stay put. Place a gasket of some sort between the box and the window, and no dust will get in at all.

ok, vacation time is here (oh, and Christmas - Merry Christmas :) ), so hopefully tomorrow I can start working on this small project. I spend last night playing around with some ideas on the computer and I think this is how I will build it.

The overall size of the display case is approx 4x2. The sides are attached with biscuits, top and bottom have the edges 1/4" round over. Backpanel and cleat not show in the image.
For the front I think I will try the magnets and just a thin frame (3/4) around the plexi glass. I'm thinking 2 magnets on top and 2 at the bottom.

I purchased the material yesterday, so now I just need to get started :)

Jesper

Attachments

• displaycase.jpg
    displaycase.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
>>Are you going to put down a cork bed and tracks and cover the bed with ballast? That would look real sharp!

Hmmm, I wasn't planning to. I was just thinking of making 2 grooves spaced for HO gauge (16mm).

Actually, now I just noticed that I should probably add a shelf at the bottom instead of having the 'rails' directly on the bottom piece, else most of the wheel details will be covered by the door frame.

Jesper

Last edited:
With the 5 foot span I think simple sliding bypass doors would be a god idea. Glass is not expensive (if you have a glass shop nearby) and would up the appearance a bit.

Your top and bottom could me 30% thicker than your shelves so that dados could be milled into them to hold the doors. A little wax for lube, some slip on pulls and your done. This would also give you a clear view all the way to the bottom. Or there is this type of product in plastic or hardwood.