turning a pen

Stacey, ask ten turners this question and you'll probably get a dozen answers. This video is probably a good place to start:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/getting-started.html

In a nutshell, you'll need a mandrel to hold the pen while you turn it, and bushings to give you a guide to show what diameter to turn it to. There are specific bushing sets for each pen kit, so once you decide what kit you want to make, you'll need to buy the bushings to match it. Other than those pieces, the rest are debatable, or there are several ways to perform the task. (Like trimming the ends of the blanks after gluing the tubes inside them.) Things like drilling vices and pen presses are handy, but not required.

This is what I use. The * is required. The others are nice to have and makes the job a lot easier.

* Pen Kit $5-$20
* Pen blank $0-$15
* Saw to cut pen blank to size (I use a chop saw)
* Pen Makers Bit Set $30 or individual bit for pen tube size you are going to make
Self-centering Pen Drilling Vice $80-$100 (or make one)
Pen Tube Insertion Tool $11 or use a dowel or pencil
* Medium CA glue $8
CA Accelerator $12 speeds up the drying
CA solvent $8 helps to unstick things, especially your fingers, and to clean up insertion tool
Pen Mill Set $35 for milling the wood even with and 90º to the tubes or use disk or belt sander
Pen Mandrel $23 or learn to turn without mandrel (I use a mandrel)
60º Live Center $20 you will have less wobble and will make your mandrel last a lot longer.
* Bushings for pen $5-$10
Turners Sandpaper Pack 120-600 $15 or use what you have. I sand to 600
Finishing supplies such as CA, friction polish, buffing system, Poly, Micro-Mesh, etc
Pen Press $50 or drill press or wood clamp
Pen Disassembly Kit $15 for when you screw a kit up and need to take it apart.

One thing that Vaughn said but really needs to be clear is that the pen kit you buy will have what bushings go with it. You will need them. You will also need the right size drill bit for said pen kit. And depending on the pen kit you may need to have a special mandrel.
Getting some thing like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17820&filter=pen kits
Will give you a good idea of what pen turning is.
This kit is not pricey but has every thing you need to make a pen minus the lathe.

I'll go along with all that's been said... only a few exceptions..
a lot of the pen turners on another forum I frequent have gone to turning between centers... you'll need a 60 deg dead center for the head stock and a 60 deg live center for the tail stock... I've pretty much switched to this method myself as I think my mandrel has bowed slightly... if this happens you'll get out of round barrels.
And I use thick CA to glue the tubes in, but the medium for the finish.
For the tube insertion I use a pair of needle nose pliers... I can grip the edge of the tubes lightly and have more control on the insertion.... I tried the insertion tool and didn't care for it.
And for the most part, I drill all my pen blanks on the lathe... it works better for me.

You got some good advice above. One thing I have found that I use epoxy on acrylic blanks and thick CA on wood blanks. CA has not held well on acrylic's in the ones I have did. Each pen kit requires a drill bit for its size, a set of bushing for each kit and a mandrel. Penn State Industries has a free DVD on pen turning which is pretty good. Have fun.

That is a real nice collection of tools. I will have to try some of those. Thank you for showing us that stuff.
Bob

A trick I use with pens is to taper the end of a 6 or 8 inch long dowel to fit inside the tubes. I'll chuck the dowel in my drill and jam a tube on the tapered end. Spin it up while you hold sandpaper against the tube and it's roughed up in 2 or 3 seconds. Keep doing that to all the tubes your going to glue up. Use the same dowel to lightly hold the tube while you glue it up and use it as an insertion tool. Later, when the glue has dried on the dowel, turn it away and it's ready to reuse. I have 1 dowel for slimline to cigar sizes and another for the bigger ones. No muss, no fuss and clean hands too.