I guess I had to wait too long.

Jim O'Dell

Well, after scrimping and saving since this time last year. Not buying anything for the shop the whole year, I finally got over the hump to order my new cabinet saw. When the Grizzly G0691 came out in the '09 Griz catalog last December, I decided that saw fulfilled all my needs. Maybe not all my wants, but all my needs.
I emailed with CS 3 times on Thursday at work, checking to see who it would ship by. The rep said it would be UPS Freight. They actually even gave me the web site addy and phone number to call them!! After talking with the UPS rep to make sure they had trucks other than tractor/trailers with 53' trailers for delivery (they also have some 28' I'm going to guess bobtails or box trucks with liftgates), I sat on it until today. Called one more time to check on how many days it usually takes this time of year for delivery (3-5) then called back at the second intermission of the Stars/Red Wings game. Everything went as expected. Jennifer was very thorough and polite, explaining all the details. Then the bombshell....Back ordered until April. :doh: I knew it would be a possibility, especially with the ad in Wood Magazine with it on sale at $1215.00 and free freight. But there hadn't been any talk on the wood forums about it being on BO, so I hoped I was safe. I told her I had waited this long for it, a few more months wouldn't be the end of the world.
Of course, I hope it comes in earlier. I asked about other warehouses. There are some in Washington, but with free shipping, it has to come out of the nearest warehouse, which would be Springfield, MO. So I'll wait. I'm not mad, just a little disappointed. I still get the price since I've got it on order, so I'm fine there. Just wanted to share my Christmas agony! :rofl::rofl: Jim.

Last edited:
Jim,

That's a bummer. I know you've wanted that for a long time. Hang in there, good things come to those who wait.

Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas,

Randy

Bummers!

But, as long as you get the same price, hopefully you'll get it sooner than their estimate...

What a drag. :( Ah well, it should be well worth the wait. Congrats on the new purchase, whether you have it in the shop yet or not. :thumb:

I have had things on back order, instead of ranting and raving about it, took your approach and said, what the heck, I'll order and wait and over half of the time it comes sooner than they anticipated or else my mindset made it seem that way. (I think they prioritize the list based on the abuse they get on the phone!) Good mental attitude, bet it comes sooner than they stated!

backorders are funny things jim. the sweaterdress i got my wife for our anniversary was on backorder until dec 14th, (this was earlier in dec). funny thing was, they sent it out a couple of days later, and it was a week after we received it, that we got a card in the mail, apologizing for the delay... :rofl:

Just wanted to update here. Shiraz Bololia posted on my thread about this at SMC and said the April date is wrong. There are some leaving the factory right now, and should be here during the month of Jan.!!!! There is also the possibility of normal stock transfers from one whse to another that could get one to me, but again in January. That is really great news! Thanks for all the positive vibes!!! It worked! :thumb: Jim.

Wow that tough. Good luck with the back order. My Grizzly G0691 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Guess it's a good thing I'm on the west coast... Small consolation actually. I'd rather live in the mid-west and have the saw on B/O.

Uh, well, no. Can I have a day off work to go get the rest of it? :D Jim.

I guess:D:D...On the connections how are you sealing them or are you? I did one run of some 4" and just put a couple screws in it. I did some more reading and am going to change and go to 6" overhead with 4" drops. I've already bought all the 6" joints, I just need to go get some pipe.

Randy

Just wanted to update here. Shiraz Bololia posted on my thread about this at SMC and said the April date is wrong. There are some leaving the factory right now, and should be here during the month of Jan.!!!! There is also the possibility of normal stock transfers from one whse to another that could get one to me, but again in January. That is really great news! Thanks for all the positive vibes!!! It worked! :thumb: Jim.

Excellent news Jim. I was going to say that the wait would be better than shipping that beast any farther (and giving the shippers more time to knock it around) than you had to. This is really great news. I thought-over my jointer choice and saved my pennies for 18 months so I know the long slow burn on these decisions. Hope you see it soon.

Well, I just got off the phone with Jessica at Grizzly. Such a sweet girl (she called me mind you) and guess it is my lucky Monday. Her Mgr. found one in the whse that someone canceled an order on that didn't show on the computer Sat, so my saw will ship out..................drum roll please.....TODAY!!

Merry Christmas to me!!! :thumb:

I don't know if Shiraz had a hand in this or not, but either way I thanked him for his help and post to my thread at SMC.

Now everyone keep their fingers crossed for safe shipping! Jim.

Last edited:
Hey Randy. I failed to answer your question on the ducting. I just slip them together. When the run is finished where I won't be tweaking it anymore, I take some caulk and just run a bead around the joint. Keeps it from leaking, but easy to cut and take back apart. I have one that I evidently pulled apart while the caulk was still wet, then put back together from the original install. I can not for the life of me get it apart. I can reach into the joint about 3/4" with a utility knife, so it must be deeper than that.
Yeah, I'm stoked about it getting here quicker. I've warned my Manager that I will be needing off, probably next Tues or Wed. :wave::wave::wave: Even if it makes it in Mon, I really don't need to be gone that day. Jim.