WIP - Mason's 4 poster Bed

Bryan Cowing

After letting the turned parts sit for a whole year, I hauled them out to try and finish this project of my grandsons bed. After the glue up of 2x6 maple, had several problems with cracking, glue joint failure. After some repairs, re-turning on the lathe, I was fed up and tossed it under the bench :(. With this years presents done, I pulled out the turned parts, no more cracking, etc. Did some repair by gluing wood in the cracks. So I laminated up the 4/4 maple into the headboard yesterday, then glued on a trim piece for the top. Today I cut out the headboard, cut mortises and did some fitting. Some pics from last year and yesterday and today's progress.
IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

Beautiful Bryan :thumb:
The butternut post on the bed I'm making has developed a crack like the one on yours. I was wondering about the best way to repair it. I was going to put a few screws in and plug them but I think I'll try your method.

What a grand bed:thumb: Those ends must be pretty solid and heavy Eh? Nice work and i like the way you seem to be setup to be able to get a good run at a project in your time in the shop. Keeps the motivation up.:thumb:
Thanks for sharing.