pretty good day today

Dan Noren

Staff member
had a pretty good day today. wound up helping my dad flood the 3 rinks (well, i swept 2, and flooded 1 of them) at the local playground. sorry, no pics of that. after picking up the frau from school, went over to my dad's to play with the new tools. i rigged up the jig i made for the arched candle holders, and it just tore through that blank like it wasn't there.:D even in the smallest part of the smallest arch, didn't even slow down. after that, i chucked up the right sized forstner bit in the newly revived drill press, and it chewed those holes like the lumber was soft cheese.:thumb: the holes may be a cat hair off, since i only had time enough to eyeball them, and it was a prototype anyway. i cannot remember the name of the lighter wood, but the other is walnut. i was in such a good mood, i decided to finally render that bit of russian olive that i've had for several years into pen blanks. i wound up with 36, but i need to look at the cuts that had some checking, i may be able to salvage a few more. all in all, a pretty good day.

Attachments

• russian olive blanks.JPG
    russian olive blanks.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 55
  • arched candle holder prototype.JPG
    arched candle holder prototype.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 67
Dan as a saying back in SA we would say "Now youre cooking with Gas". Aw what the heck i have to explain every expression. We did not have natural gas piped to each house and it was considered faster than an electric stove when you used propane (we called that gas). Real gas is called Petrol back where i come from hey Chas....help me out here..:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heck Dan those are great i see a slight inspiration stemming from a fellow woodworker that is out in California by the name of Glenn ;)appearing in your work. Remember to mention him in your press release one day.:rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

i was in such a good mood, i decided to finally render that bit of russian olive that i've had for several years into pen blanks. i wound up with 36, but i need to look at the cuts that had some checking, i may be able to salvage a few more. all in all, a pretty good day.

Dan, attached is a pdf explaining using a pressure pot to salvage pen blanks that are worse than "checked"!!! Came from TPS, looks like something I will be doing in the future, just happened to read it today so here it is fresh off of my desktop! Well, the best laid plans of mice and men, to large to download here. So here is the address, or pm me your email address and will send it on to you in its entire portion.

http://www.thepenshop.net/library.htm

Next to last title on the left column. Worthless wood blanks. Hope you find it and like it and hope it helps. If not, send some of that "worthless" checked blanks and will run it through the process and send some finished ones back to you!

Last edited:
Jonathan, I don't see the link? I had bought a pressure pot and a vacuum a while ago, but haven't used them.

I actually got one of the HF vacuum pumps on sale. Not a bad deal. My Pressure pot I got off of FleaBay. Pretty beat up and well covered in paint, but still holds a seal.

All I really need to find is a fancy/schmancy pressure/vacuum gauge and I'll be all set.

I have some ideas for some cast resin blanks I'd like to make, but have a list of 300-400 other projects I need to get out of the way first! :rolleyes: :rofl: