Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashman shoptour

Ashman shoptour

My shop is in a 32 x 48 x 10 polebarn with vinyl siding, aluminum soffits and facia, shingled roof it is insulated and I used o.s.b. sheathing for the interior walls and ceiling. A lot of my shop was built using left over materials from other shops and homes that I built or remodeled....for example my windows all came from a home I remodeled, the kitchen upper cabinets came out of two different kitchens I did, and the trusses came from a house we completely changed from a single story ranch to a two story home with completely different rooflines. Insulation came in dribs and drabs as I had leftovers as did the interior o.s.b sheeting. It's not that I am cheap but am able to obtain these materials from time to time being a building contractor. My shop was originally built so that I could pre-fab trusses and walls for my different jobs, but it didn't work out the way I planned it...so I started building a few muscle cars in it....after I got enough of that hobby about 2 years ago I decided to turn my shop into a place where I could build furniture and cabinets for some of the houses I built if the customer decided to have something custom made....so I sold/ gave away all my go fast car goodies and made the conversion.

Although my shop is nothing fancy and it doesn't have the "top of the line" equiptment, it serves me well and of course I am always looking to upgrade as time/funds allow. Not pictured below I have a Grizzly dust collector, a homemade ceiling mounted air filter, a large homemade clamp rack, an older delta jointer, a newly purchased drum sander....and a refrigerator to keep my beverage of choice cold after working hours.

Thanks for looking and be careful not to get too much sawdust on you.If you ever get near Lansing, Michigan drop by, the drinks are cold, the shop is warm and the conversation is sincere and friendly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steve_ash_bandsaw.jpg   Steve_ash_bencharea.jpg   Steve_ash_minimaxshaper.jpg   Steve_ash_mitersaw.jpg   Steve_ash_planer.jpg  

Steve_ash_tabelsaw.jpg   Steve_ash_toolcabinet2.jpg   Steve_ash_toolcabinet.jpg   100_1855.jpg  

Steve, looks great and very functional. You do not have to have the "top of the line" equipment to do top of the line work. It the talent in the hand and the dream in the minds eye that guides the saw and creates beauty from raw materials.

way to clean steve! .........2 demerits

thanks for sharin`! tod

Steve - thanks for posting - looks to me like you've got it all there. There is nothing wrong with recycling materials into new uses either - just remember - not cheap - just eco-friendly

Look a little clean. And when did you get that shaper going?
    Jim

Nice shop Steve. But there's one little thing wrong....Ashman is not entirely family friendly. Just listen to my two year old daughter say it! Yes, she asked "What's that?" and repeated my answer in two year old speak.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Great shop

Hey Ashman, love the shop. The story of how you got the materials reminds me of that old Johny Cash song "One piece at a time" and his 48, 49, 52, 54.... cadillac. What's the next project for the shop?

Thanks for the shop tour, Steve.

My shop is very small and sparse, OK, it's really just a garage . I get to live vicariously through you guys with these great shops.

By the way. What is a "Pole Barn"

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    Thanks for the shop tour, Steve.

My shop is very small and sparse, OK, it's really just a garage . I get to live vicariously through you guys with these great shops.

By the way. What is a "Pole Barn"

George
    George a pole barn is a building constructed with treated poles (in this case 6 x 6 pressure treated posts sunk in the ground 42 " and resting on a concrete footing approximately 18" in diameter and 8-10 " thick. It is less expensive to build a pole barn structure than a stick built structure sitting on a foundation with blocks. You are still able to use vinyl siding, aluminum soffits, facia and a shingled roof same as a stick built garage.

Trust me fellas, the shop was cleaned up a lot from what it normally looks like.

Jim, the shaper has always been running, I just don't have any shaper cutters yet for it.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Nice Steve, very nice.

Nice barn for all that arn..................
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin