A new beginning

Ronald Coates

I've posted some of this info before so if you've read parts of it... bear with me.

About 3 years ago I sold my entire shop. Tools, machines, jigs, plans, wood, everything. Before that I had spent several years building classical guitars. I started that endeavor with zero woodworking background. So without the whole back story... I'm back. I just ordered a bunch of tools from Grizzly a bunch more hand tools from Lee Valley and the game is on. The first order of business will be to build my shop. I have a two car garage, but it has to multifunction and parking for bicycles and skateboards, workout space for me, laundry and general catch all. It's not as bad as it sounds I've got a good 12' x 16' of clear floor space dedicated to WW and then additional space for storage. I've also got a spare bedroom for humidity controlled storage when needed.

Look at the back grounds of these pics and you can see what I have to work with. Over the next year I'll build benches and shelves and totally reorganize the space.

I received my G0691 table saw, G0555 band saw, Go452 jointer and G1163 DC all today. That's a lot of stuff to put together in one day. All the main assembly is done. Tomorrow I'll actually dial it all in and get it set up and ready to use.

The extension table for the TS was damaged in shipping. Damaged beyond repair. I'll contact Grizzly about that tomorrow as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0006a.jpg
    DSC_0006a.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0012a.jpg
    DSC_0012a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0013a.jpg
    DSC_0013a.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0015a.jpg
    DSC_0015a.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0016a.jpg
    DSC_0016a.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 154
Geez Ronald, when you are back, you are BACK! :clap:

Is your main focus going to be building guitars again?

If so, will you build a bench just for luthiers?

Cheers!

What a great time for you. Re-starts are always possible; the supply only runs out when your desire does, eh? I enjoy organizing (and re-organizing) as the need arises. Have fun.

P.s. I found the tablesaw much easier to align for splitter, 90* and 45* with the wings and fence off. This is the core adjustment on your saw that everything else references back to. By setting this baseline up first, any adjustments you may make don't carry over to the wings and fence setup. Great looking group of machines. What a blast.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking four machines in one day. Like I say I just did the basic assembly the actual setup will come today. I did square up the table saw prior to adding the rest of the parts as suggested by Glenn. I'll now go back and square everything to it... at least that's the game plan.

Geez Ronald, when you are back, you are BACK! :clap:

Is your main focus going to be building guitars again?

If so, will you build a bench just for luthiers?

Cheers!

Eventually my main focus will be making guitars. Remember I said when I started I had no background in WW. Well because of that I always felt I was not achieving the consistent quality that I should have. There were lot's of times where I would have to redo something when I wasn't happy with the result. So, the game plan is to build a bench and a chest of drawers for storage beneath it. I will use the making of those as an opportunity to explore some different types of joinery. I'll then do the same with some shelving and storage units in the garage/shop. In the interim I will begin collecting wood and tools for guitars. Slow and steady wins the race. So the short answer is no it will be a general purpose type WW bench. My guitar building is done primarily on a solara (dished work board) so it can happen on just about any configuration of bench. In the past I used a plywood bench, solara and small (very small) WW vice.

What a great time for you. Re-starts are always possible; the supply only runs out when your desire does, eh? I enjoy organizing (and re-organizing) as the need arises. Have fun.

P.s. I found the tablesaw much easier to align for splitter, 90* and 45* with the wings and fence off. This is the core adjustment on your saw that everything else references back to. By setting this baseline up first, any adjustments you may make don't carry over to the wings and fence setup. Great looking group of machines. What a blast.

The main trouble I have with organizing is that I'm a pack rat and I need to throw out a bunch of stuff.

What great excitement at the anticipation of using your new machines.:thumb: Ronald you lucky you dont have my neighbors or your garage would be called and industrial area:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know I worry about the same thing. My town is a little over zealous when it comes to code enforcement.

Last edited:
Nice haul of stuff. Santa was real early.

Santa had to be early, that was a whole sleigh load in one!!!!! Probably had to break a couple more reindeer and put in the hitch for that load!!! :rofl::rofl:

I thought I had posted and welcomed you back into the woodworking fold and into this family. Can't find it so must not have happened! :eek::huh::doh: The guitar is the one musical instrument I hope to learn to play someday. Just something romantic about a fire, guitar and stars in the sky. Plus, if I sing, won't have to coyote hunt on my farm, they'll run like turpentine has been applied liberally to their backsides!! :eek::dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well like I said the extension table for the G0691 was damaged in shipping. I noted the bill of lading and called Grizzly today. They took a statement and opened an activity report. A few hours later someone called back took more info and asked me to send photos. Then about an hour later someone called and asked if I could use the damaged one even for a little while. I said no way not even worth giving it a try. They said they would replace the part, but there were none available and they were back ordered; Until FEBRUARY:eek:

Oh well, what are you gonna do. I can use the saw as is of course, but running sheets of plywood through it would be a stretch. I'm some time away from needing to do that anyway.

Check out the damage pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19953182@N07/sets/72157623058416512/show/with/4208868071/