Three more Christmas presents

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
Forgot to take pictures of these before I wrapped them so had to wait until after they were opened.

Pictures 1, 2, 3 and 4 are of the figured Maple bowl I made for The Bride. She really liked the one I made for Rob for the swap so I tried to duplicate the shape for her. Rob’s was dictated by the shape of the blank and kind of evolved into its final form, not what I originally intended, but better. I think I was pretty successful in duplicating the form. This one is about 8” by 2 ½”, Sanded to 600 grit, Rubbed with pure Tung oil, then Beall buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond Compound and Carnauba wax.

Picture 5 is a figured Maple Slim line pen for the MIL. She has arthritis in her hands and really liked the first pen that I turned (which was a Slim line maple POC) so I turned a nicer pen for her. Sanded to 600 grit, 2 coats of Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer sanded with 600 between coats, finished with three coats of Mylands High Build Friction Polish. sanded with 600 between coats. Beall buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond Compound and Carnauba wax

Picture 6 is a Birdseye maple bottle stopper for the SIL, Finished like the pen above. Mounted on a Ruth Niles #301 Stainless stopper.

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to upload the pictures.

Attachments

• Bowl 8 Top.JPG
    Bowl 8 Top.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Bowl 8 Bottom.JPG
    Bowl 8 Bottom.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Bowl 8 Front.JPG
    Bowl 8 Front.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Bowl 8 Edge.JPG
    Bowl 8 Edge.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Pen 28 Maple.JPG
    Pen 28 Maple.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Stopper 11.JPG
    Stopper 11.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
Larry, its thin at the rim but probably 3/16" at the turn. I don't think the SIL will have any problem getting past the eyes.:thumb:

Hope you had a good Christmas. We had 17 for dinner and it was our best Christmas ever, 4 kids under two (two of them my Grandsons), my kids and their family, The Brides's Mom, Sis and her boyfriend, even the ex-wife.

Steve,

I was lurking on another turning forum (Family Woodworking, I wasn’t cheating, I was just looking, honest) and say your turning of a spalted pecan bowl with a spindle top. It was beautiful!. Today, I’m going to turn the chunk of spalted pecan you sent to me on the swap