Which one

Have a few dollars to spend and need some help here. Wife says no more tools after this, until I actually build something. Guess you could call me more of a tool collector. Not that I don't want to build something, but just don't know how.

Anyway I figure I will need a jointer or planer. Not sure what would be best. Planer I would have to figure out how to build a sled I guess, not sure there. and figure I could joint on my tablesaw, which would require another jig of some sort I have no clue how to build. Jointer from what Ive read I could just do it all in one pop, but will have to get a used one and most likely won't be more than a 6". I know I need alot of other things, but I guess I better build something with what I have or according to the wife I am not getting anything else. lol Any help is appreciated.

Short list I have is Ridgid 3650 tablesaw, Dewalt DCMS, Small router, a few small clamps, dust collection and that is about it.

I'd go with a jointer myself. You can always buy boards that are the thickness you want. With a jointer you can joint a glue edge, take out minor cupping, and plane to thickness. Although that has always made me a bit nervous. I know of 2 guys that put the knives into their palm while doing it.
I'm sure all the experts here will have better reasons this is just my opinion. I'd shop around on Craigs list. You could probably buy both used for the price of 1 new one.

Oh ya, lots more clamps.

Well you don't need either of them to build things.:thumb:
I would start with doing a few projects to find out what you do need for tools.
You my find that what you really need is a drill press, or a router table or a bandsaw.:dunno:
So go forth into the world by some wood and make something.:thumb:
If you don't know what to make, build a bird house or a bird feeder, maybe even one of each. Just have fun and do it.:thumb:
After you get a few project under your belt you'll know or have a better idea what would make the projects your doing easier.

>>Wife says no more tools after this, until I actually build something
Sorry I can't help as I'm new myself, but - hahaha - my wife told me pretty much the same after I bought my tablesaw :) ...

Jesper

I was a tool collector until I took a basic woodworking class, one semester long, at one of the local adult schools. I learned how to use the machinery safely. I was a tool collector because I was afraid to use them. I’d put your money towards some learning.

Both Chucks gave you good advice. I had a production shop building limited production furniture for about 20 years and to this day have never had a jointer I got a good enough edge for gluing straight off the table saw you just need a good quality combo blade. If you think you need one or the other go with planer but as others have said you can build a lot of project with out ether I made stuff for the tole painters for 3 years before I bought a portable planer.
Jay

Jointers make one surface flat (they also edge joint but you can do that many other says). Planers use that flat surface to make a board an equal thickness. If I could only have one I would get a planer.

A planer sled will allow a planer to face joint and your table saw (or router or router table or hand plane) can edge joint for you. A jointer doesn't plane and dimensional stock bought at the BORG isn't flat. Get a planer, build a sled. You will get more bang for your "last" bucks. ;-)

Jointing and planing wood for a few projects can be done right at the local yard you buy the wood.
For 30-50 cents a bf, you can probably have the lumber you choose surfaced(planed) and jointed
Things may be different down the road for you with machine purchases, but for now, it sounds like this might be a good option.
Alot of yards and places offer certain species already surfaced, like red oak or poplar. Look around and find the right place, build something.

I'll second what the two Chucks said. You already have enough tools to make some stuff. I was making cutting boards and selling them before I had either a planer or jointer. Your TS3650 is fully capable of cutting glue-ready joints. (Or at least mine always has been.)

The suggestion for a basic woodworking class is a great one. Possibly cost less than either a jointer or planer, and provide equal or more benefit. ;)

The jointer and planer do the same job that hand planes do only faster. Edge and face jointing two good flat surfaces out of rough lumber is the first steps of how I was taught to do things. Once you have two good flat surfaces then you can use a table saw to get a matching parellel edges. or hand planing, but it gives you a solid place to start. You need that one good edge and face for the thickness planer to work properly. So i would go with the jointer first followed closely with a thickness planer.

The best advise you have gotten here is to take some lessons. It is the greatest need you expressed. Tools do operate themselves nor do they automatically make everything better. They are only tools. You are the builder. What you need now is knowledge. Spend your bucks there. Not only will you be more successful, you likely will avoid injury. Getting hurt will damper your woodworking ardor quicker than anything. We won;t discuss how your wife might handle THAT situation. :rolleyes:

PM me for more specific information as to how you might to do this. I am a woodworking instructor.

I was a tool collector until I took a basic woodworking class, one semester long, at one of the local adult schools. I learned how to use the machinery safely. I was a tool collector because I was afraid to use them. I’d put your money towards some learning.

Well you don't need either of them to build things.:thumb:
I would start with doing a few projects to find out what you do need for tools.
You my find that what you really need is a drill press, or a router table or a bandsaw.:dunno:
So go forth into the world by some wood and make something.:thumb:
If you don't know what to make, build a bird house or a bird feeder, maybe even one of each. Just have fun and do it.:thumb:
After you get a few project under your belt you'll know or have a better idea what would make the projects your doing easier.

The best advise you have gotten here is to take some lessons. It is the greatest need you expressed. Tools do operate themselves nor do they automatically make everything better. They are only tools. You are the builder. What you need now is knowledge. Spend your bucks there. Not only will you be more successful, you likely will avoid injury. Getting hurt will damper your woodworking ardor quicker than anything. We won;t discuss how your wife might handle THAT situation. :rolleyes:

PM me for more specific information as to how you might to do this. I am a woodworking instructor.

go back and re read what these folks are sayun:) its good wisdom. you need to learn before you go out and buy a mistake that the wife will definatly get you for.. and if you learn and then make something you both win:) check out your local wood craft or other woodworking clubs to gain knowlegde

........ Wife says no more tools after this, until I actually build something. Wife is 100% right on. You should listen to her more often. Tony B
Anyway I figure I will need a jointer or planer. Neither at this stage of the game. What you do need is a decent drill press and about a dozen pipe clamps. Tony B

Jointer.......most likely won't be more than a 6". [COLOR="blue[B]"]If and when you get to this stage, 8" is better for many reasons. [/B]Tony B[/COLOR]

Short list I have is Ridgid 3650 tablesaw, Dewalt DCMS, Small router, a few small clamps, dust collection and that is about it.

With a drill press, table saw, dado blade and small router you can build a really nice table. A table makes a great first project. The drill press with a cross slide vise makes accurate mortises and the dado blade makes the tenons. Attached are some pics of 2 tables I made at the same time using only those tools.

Now for the planer/joiner issue. Go to a QUALITY lumber company and they will flatten and plane the lumber for you at a small fee. There are 3 big cities within 1 1/2 hours from you, so no excuses. Buy something relatively inexpensive like red oak. Take wifey with you. The LOML does not get involved with my woodworking but she loves to come with me to hardwood dealers. She has fun loading the cart with wild stuff. We live on our boat so we dont have room for furniture so I make it for our kids or for spec items for decorators that come to my shop.
Start making furniture. Making jigs just keeps you as a tool collector. We will walk you through every step.

By the way, after the drill press, your next toy should be an air compressor.

Attachments

• Photo 7.JPG
    Photo 7.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Table Parts.JPG
    Table Parts.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Writing Tables.JPG
    Writing Tables.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 19
Dustin,
If lessons are out of the question then there are still a lot of other resources available. There are any number of how to DVD's. I know that Taunton Press for 1 has several good ones, also get ahold of some plans on something you would like to make, most start out with a simple table. use the project as your school. If you have questions post em on here. For me expierance is the best teacher. When I first started working with expensive hardwoods I was terrified that I'd ruin the project, now I can't count the number of board feet of maple, oak and other woods that have ended up in the burn pile of recycled into smaller pieces, fixtures and jigs.

With a drill press, table saw, dado blade and small router you can build a really nice table. A table makes a great first project. The drill press with a cross slide vise makes accurate mortises and the dado blade makes the tenons. Attached are some pics of 2 tables I made at the same time using only those tools.

Now for the planer/joiner issue. Go to a QUALITY lumber company and they will flatten and plane the lumber for you at a small fee. There are 3 big cities within 1 1/2 hours from you, so no excuses. Buy something relatively inexpensive like red oak. Take wifey with you. The LOML does not get involved with my woodworking but she loves to come with me to hardwood dealers. She has fun loading the cart with wild stuff. We live on our boat so we dont have room for furniture so I make it for our kids or for spec items for decorators that come to my shop.
Start making furniture. Making jigs just keeps you as a tool collector. We will walk you through every step.

By the way, after the drill press, your next toy should be an air compressor.

Guess I should have added I have a drill press and a compressor. Didn't really count them.

Guess I should have added I have a drill press and a compressor. Didn't really count them.

Great on the Drill Press. Now get a cross slide vise. I am definitely NOT a fan of Harbor Freight but some of their stuff is worthwhile. You should be able to get a cross slide vise to fit your Drilll Press for about $40. I wont be home till about Jan 7th or 8th. Remind me around then and I will make a short videp clip for you on making the mortises. It is easier to make the video than to explain in text.

Dustin you had better figure out if you like this first before jumping in with both feet as it is a very costly hobby/ profession that not everyone has the patience to do. It takes years to accumulate all the tools and experience that you need and can cost thousands of dollars just to get set up properly
and that is just the beginning. I would suggest that you go to the library and get out books and dvd's to learn as much as you can. Start small and work up from there. This is a good place to start with all the experience and info that is shared.