Log Splitter

All those red drops on the bench concern me. Hope they are not blood.:huh:

I know that was meant in humor. But, for the record. I have been a traditional muzzle loading enthusiast for many years. I am a absolutely focuse safety nut around things black powder. In fact, on the range, I often am not much fun to be around because I am unwavering insistent on everyone else using good safety practices. When I used that black powder wood splitter, I was just as careful. Wife and children were no where around, I used a long enough fuse to get away and usually behind a tree. Things that explode aren't things that need to be messed with carelessly.

I know that was meant in humor. But, for the record. I have been a traditional muzzle loading enthusiast for many years. I am a absolutely focuse safety nut around things black powder. In fact, on the range, I often am not much fun to be around because I am unwavering insistent on everyone else using good safety practices. When I used that black powder wood splitter, I was just as careful. Wife and children were no where around, I used a long enough fuse to get away and usually behind a tree. Things that explode aren't things that need to be messed with carelessly.
So how does it work:huh:

Here's a shot of my black powder lig splitter.

Musket 1.jpg Musket 2.jpg

It an original 1862 Towers 58 Cal. shoot 200 grain mini balls. Towers later became enfield. These were sold to the confederate army by the towers arms company for $19 each. It is still in firing condition and I have shot it. It'll split railroad ties.

So how does it work:huh:

Strictly by blast. A charge of black powder is poured in then held with something tamped over it, I used dry leaves or newspaper. A cannon fuse is placed in the touch hole.
The sharpened muzzle end is knocked into the end of the log. Another hunk of log can be used as a backing to keep the splitter from flying.
Fuse is lit, litee retires a safe distance. Powder goes bang and log is split. No projectile is needed. Just the blast. Works fine.
Safety note: When I say "black powder" I mean the old fashioned real black powder. Not modern gun reloading powders which are the color black.

Ian said:
Sorry to be OT in the OT Forum, but did anyone tell you what Grand Marais translates to ?? That's Big Marsh or Big Swamp in my book. Come springtime you better have a LOAD of mosquito repellent, my friend

We're not allowed to harm mosquitoes in Minnesota. It's our state bird and is protected. :p

Cheers,

Kevin