my train display case

I know it is simple - but hey - I actually build something , and that is a first :D

I spend most of the day in the garage yesterday and a couple of hours today, and now my model train display case is ready for some finish.

I did get some good suggestions in the other thread where I asked for ideas, and for the next display case I will probably use the glass door track. For this one I just wanted to be able to build somethong over the weekend and did not want to wait for any order to arrive.

I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out, and I 'only' made a couple of mistakes - not bad for me!!. Of course I still have to add finish so there is still a chance for me to mess up something :)

I havent attached the back panel yet, not sure if I should do it before or after staining.

Jesper
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3390.JPG
    IMG_3390.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3387.JPG
    IMG_3387.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 30
Looks great, well done! :clap:

I agree with Don, if you are not gluing it, then finish it with the back off, MUCH easier. I would not bother with the glue, it is not going to carry a lot of weight, after all those are not REAL trains (as in HEAVY trains) so I do not think that the glue would add any much needed strength. If you can put the back on using screws, counter sunk and pre-drilled of course, that would add almost as much strength as glue, but you can still finish it with the back off.

How are you going to finish it?

I did a bookcase for my daughter recently and I used a few coats of Shellac, brushed on, then rubbed, just about idiot proof :D

Cheers!

ok - I have a really stupid question ..... sorry! :eek:

I just applied SealCoat on the shelfs using a brush, now the stupid question is how do I prevent it to run to the bottom ?.

I applied it to the top and sides, and of course when I flipped the shelfs it over it had run to the bottom. When I applied to the bottom it did seem to 'even out' the run, but then of course I had run on the top, so I flipped it again and tried to even it out.

So - what are the steps to brush apply finish to shelfs ?.

Jesper

Jesper - that looks nice.

I like model railroading too.

Will you be putting some track on the shelves for the train cars?

Maybe some scenery would also look good - and maybe some of the model railroad background.

Here is the almost finished display case, I'm only missing the plexiglass and frame.
I gave it 3 coats of shellac and sanded with 220 between coats. But I'm not too happy with how it turned out, because there are some visible brush marks and a couple of places where I had some run, but it will do for now, and I will just have to continue practice.

Leo, for now I will just use the grooves in the shelfs instead of rails. As for scenery and background, well, this case is too shallow I think, the shelfs are only 3" wide, but making a diorama display case is an interesting idea.

attachment.php

Jesper

edit - I just noticed I have flipped the case upside down when I took the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
You don't need depth for the background. If you are artistic, just paint the scene. If like me and can't draw a stick figure, you could cut scenes out of a magazine and decoupage onto the back board.
But it looks great just the way it is. :thumb:
You're making me wish I had space to get my trains out of the attic!! Jim.

Here is the almost finished display case, I'm only missing the plexiglass and frame.
I gave it 3 coats of shellac and sanded with 220 between coats. But I'm not too happy with how it turned out, because there are some visible brush marks and a couple of places where I had some run, but it will do for now, and I will just have to continue practice.

Leo, for now I will just use the grooves in the shelfs instead of rails. As for scenery and background, well, this case is too shallow I think, the shelfs are only 3" wide, but making a diorama display case is an interesting idea.

attachment.php

Jesper

edit - I just noticed I have flipped the case upside down when I took the picture.

Jesper - I have discovered a nice way to easily remove runs, before the next coat.

Use a single edge razor blade like a scraper - and carefully scrape off the run - then lightly sand.

It is looking awesome - I can't wait to see it hanging up and filled with your brized possesions.

Do you have any "brass" locomotives?

no, no fancy brass toys for me.
Thanks for the tip on removing runs, I will rememeber that next time.
Here it is on the wall with some of my toys but still missing the door.

attachment.php

Jesper

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 22
Brings back so many memories. Wish I was still in this hobby, but sold all my HO stuff a few years back - some of the same engines you have. Two reasons; Can't afford two hobbies and woodworking, at least, had the benefit of actually producing things, and, basements in my part of Idaho are pretty rare.

Nicely done! Looking forward to seeing the doors installed.

That is sweet! Whatever our collections, displaying them like this provides a longer life for the item as it isn't being discarded accidentally or something stacked on it, or what all happens to stuff. This is a very nice display shelf with a good selection of trains. I liked the grooves idea to keep them in order. Can see the eye appeal of old track tacked down, but man it is nice! Good job!!