Vacuum Chucking

Has anyone have any input or used this Vacuum pump or used it for reverse chucking.? It's on sale at Harbor Freight, not much off but better than none at all. It's a US General 2.5 vacuum Pump.Your comments greatly appreciated.:
-

Attachments

• US General 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump.gif
    US General 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 83
I've seen folks mill aluminum with nothing but a shopvac (running continuously) to hold it in place. I'm not sure how you'd do this with a spinning lathe, but it does seem to work well.:huh:

There are several people that have that pump and say that it works fine. I would prefer a little extra CFM but it might work just fine.

A Vacuum can work pretty well. You just have to have a larger chuck and a good seal because the Shop Vac does not pull as much vacuum and it leaks quite a bit. The adapter that Nova sold was always intended for a shop vac. Also with most vacuums you need some sort of bypass air or you will burn up the unit. I think you can get by without bypass air on the Festool and Fein vacuums because their motors are not cooled the same way but I would check with the manufacture before you do that.

Good Luck

Alan

Last edited: