First Bowl off Mustard Monster

Keith Palmer

Here is the first bowl I turned on the new PM 3520. It is Maple burl about 5 inches by 2.5 inches and wall thickness of 3/16". I finished it with 3 coats of Tung oil then Beall buffed it. When I brought it in to show LOML she said don't you have something bigger to turn you bought that lathe that can turn 20" and this is what you bring me!

img_6512.jpg

img_6510.jpg

keith, when you apply tung oil, do you have to wait for each coat to dry completely before you apply next coat?nice bowl, I tell my wife all the time nice things come in small packages.(are you using pure tung oil, or something like formsbys? sorry, just trying to sort out my problems with finishing products, just love the way it all pops out with tung oil)

Last edited:
beautiful wood and you did it proud!!! well done ! Welcome to the mustard group!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine..

keith, when you apply tung oil, do you have to wait for each coat to dry completely before you apply next coat?nice bowl, I tell my wife all the time nice things come in small packages.(are you using pure tung oil, or something like formsbys? sorry, just trying to sort out my problems with finishing products, just love the way it all pops out with tung oil)

Allen this is the first time I had ever used Tung Oil. Yes, according to the can you have to wait 24 hrs to apply additional coats. I do not believe it is pure tung oil I used Minwax Tung Oil.

I do not know that I will use it again though. I normally use Watco Danish Oil on my Western Maple to make the grain pop and I think it looks better. It also smells better, the Tung oil stunk!

When I brought it in to show LOML she said don't you have something bigger to turn you bought that lathe that can turn 20" and this is what you bring me!

You see... this is what happens when you create big expectations and don't fulfill them:D

On the other hand, once you master the technique, it can serve as an excuse to buy and even bigger lathe!;).

BTW Nice bowl and nice wood as well!:thumb::thumb:

That's a good looking bowl.:thumb:
Now I just have to agree with your better half. Mini lathe work off of that big PM:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Next thing your gonna tell us is your got it to turn pens on like I am with mine right now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Let me tell ya a pen mandrel looks kinda funny on my PM 45:thumb:

That's a good looking bowl.:thumb:
Now I just have to agree with your better half. Mini lathe work off of that big PM:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Next thing your gonna tell us is your got it to turn pens on like I am with mine right now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Let me tell ya a pen mandrel looks kinda funny on my PM 45:thumb:

Boy you aren't kidding! I just got a request to turn some replacement handles for a wood stove, I used my bottle stopper mandrel and it looks tiny, so did my cole jaws for my Barracuda II, which looked gigantic on my shopsmith!

The bowl looks nice, Keith. I'm sure you're already keeping your eyes open for some bigger chunks to play with. ;)

...Let me tell ya a pen mandrel looks kinda funny on my PM 45:thumb:

Ah, there's nothing quite as satisfying as turning bottle stoppers on a 3520B with a 3/4" bowl gouge...

Roughing a Stopper.jpg

I actually do like using the 3/4" gouge for this type of roughing. More cutting edge = fewer trips to the grinder.

Beautiful wood and a good looking bowl! I switch off using pure Tung Oil and BLO, one coat left to dry 24 hours, then Beall Buff. I think the combination of oil and buffing gives the wood a warm glow that you can feel.

Nice machine too!

The bowl looks nice, Keith. I'm sure you're already keeping your eyes open for some bigger chunks to play with. ;)

Ah, there's nothing quite as satisfying as turning bottle stoppers on a 3520B with a 3/4" bowl gouge...

View attachment 40719

I actually do like using the 3/4" gouge for this type of roughing. More cutting edge = fewer trips to the grinder.

I don't know which is worse. Me admitting I used my 45 for pens and bottle stoppers. Or you for taking pics to prove you use your PM for them.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh and yes my pen turning tools are a 3/4" gouge and a 1/2" skew.:rofl:
So I was out in the shop today with the camera. Tell me which one looks more out of place. :rofl:

Attachments

• tn_wood 010.JPG
    tn_wood 010.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 4
  • tn_wood 011.JPG
    tn_wood 011.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: