vertical raised panel bit vs router horsepower

allen levine

can anyone with experience with vertical raised panel bits let me know if my dewalt 618 will be able to handle the load,(before I go for 100 bucks on the bit) its a 2 and 1/4 hp variable speed motor.(I will be doing only hardwoods like oak or cherry)

i agree with tim allen but dont try runnig a horizontal one that will take several passes to do the job.. and make sure you have good downward pressure and side pressure with feather boards or some such pressure point to maintain your profile better..

I run my horizontal one on a 1.5 horse PC. Sharp and in pine one pass :thumb:
Dull like it is now it is going to be at least 3 in pine and I wouldn't even try oak with it dull.
Shoot my sharper is only a 1.5 horse

I tried to run a HF 9.99 raised panel bit with my dewalt, it ripped the ash and oak apart. The bit didnt make it, I didnt want to ruin my router, again, I dislike the tool repair guy knows me by first name.
I can mount my dewalt on my ryobi table top router table, Ill have to make a stronger,higher fence, but until I build or purchase a good router table, I can practice on the ryobi.
One more stupid question. I adjust the speed of the router according to the chart(wood)
Do I have to increase or decrease the speed if Im cutting a panel vertical?

Last edited:
I tried to run a HF 9.99 raised panel bit with my dewalt, it ripped the ash and oak apart. The bit didnt make it, I didnt want to ruin my router, again, I dislike the tool repair guy knows me by first name.
I can mount my dewalt on my ryobi table top router table, Ill have to make a stronger,higher fence, but until I build or purchase a good router table, I can practice on the ryobi.
One more stupid question. I adjust the speed of the router according to the chart(wood)
Do I have to increase or decrease the speed if Im cutting a panel vertical?
My tool repair guy knows me by name too. I see him every day when I look in the mirror.
I would say the speed is the same.:thumb:

allen the tool speed is adjusted according to the diameter of the tool for the most part not the type of wood. large diameter slower speed, small diameter higher speed. as far as the wood goes the wood type dictates the feed rate and how much of a cut at the time.. for instance oak loves to split off with dull cutters and to much cut but a ligeter cut and another pass or two will do better job. cherry needs constant feed rate or it will burn bad and will still burn pretty easily.. ash is great i havnt had any trouble with ash.

Last edited: