Sometimes the Shopgods Smile

glenn bradley

Cleaning the bearings on the bandsaw in prep to resaw some QSWO. Launched a snap-ring. Actually found it in about 2 minutes cleeeeeeer over by the cut-off bin. . . . . Now, if I just knew if that was a sign to forge ahead or to knock of for the day . . . . . I am beset by a state of quandary . . . or is a quandary already a state of being and I am in a quandary? Oh, anyway; I'm gonna go saw some wood.

I lost the nut off the arbor on my tablesaw one time, had to wait a week and a half for the mail to bring the replacement. (I ordered 10, I'm an honor graduate from the school of Over-Kill.)

So far I haven't even dropped one since

I was using a wire wheel on a grinder once to clean off a brass part that was for the brakes on a 46 chevy. Well, The wheel caught it and ZOOM! it went over my shoulder who knows where. I spent 2 days cleaning out my garage looking for it.

Finally found it. I had a dartboard that folded down from the ceiling. After 2 days of cleaning and searching, it had flown up to the ceiling and landed in that dart board.

I've got the OCD bad sometimes, and it really kicks in when I've got a very difficult or expensive to replace part....:eek:

I keep a 2 ft pile of shavings under the lathe just for the purpose of catching everything I drop off the lathe... pen bushings, tools, tommy bars for the chucks.:D.. sometimes the things will just land on top of the pile for me to pick up..:D. anything small will burrow to the bottom immediately and then off to one side or the other.:).. a bushing usually means sifting through the pile one handful at a time....:(

I keep a 2 ft pile of shavings under the lathe just for the purpose of catching everything I drop off the lathe... pen bushings, tools, tommy bars for the chucks.:D.. sometimes the things will just land on top of the pile for me to pick up..:D. anything small will burrow to the bottom immediately and then off to one side or the other.:).. a bushing usually means sifting through the pile one handful at a time....:(

Try one of these Chuck

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32072&cat=1,42363,42356&ap=1

They are great for small metal parts dropped in a pile of shavings.

Well, I have been known to drop another near identical part to see where it might have launched to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! A magnet, one like an old car antenna by the lathe for picking up those dang bushings, a larger more powerful magnet for "looking" in hard to reach places! Invaluable.

sounds lucky to me, you should run out and buy some lotto tickets with the part number to guide your number picks.

not same thing, but Ive been looking for weeks, maybe months for a preferably steel cabinet, not tool, but more library style cabinet, wood would be ok also, to hold parts and bits, and all that assorted stuff that I misplace all the time.
I went downstairs just today in my store to look for any newyears eve stuff, noise makers etc........while down there, I looked around, since I havent gone back into the boiler room since the rest of the basement was cleaned out for me.
I looked through the old shelving, racks, and saw a couple of nice old entry doors. Im sure they were quite nice in their day, so I moved them to see what the other sides looked like, and right beneath them, hidden to view, was a steelmaster 16 drawer cabinet. Quite perfectly what Ive been looking to purchase on craigslist or elsewhere. A bit rusty, had to peel hundreds of stickers off it, but with a little love, I think its my latest shop addition.
Might even spray paint it. Figured it must have been there before I got there in the 70s. Its missing 3 handles, Ill replace them with cheap 99 cent handles.
Got a break today. Even got an aluminum handtruck with it to keep home, didnt know I had additional handtrucks in the boiler room. Like dumpster diving in my own basement.

great find Allen. I'm the worlds worst to need something and go buy it and two days later find that I have the exact thing that I just bought. I always put stuff up so I won't forget I have it only to forget where I put it.:eek:

here is another good use of those anteann magnets or the 4 finger choke linkage type grabbers.. i lost a router bit in the table dust collection area.. rather than having to dismantel the whole thing just lowered the router all the way and bent this litte guy around a couple tight turns and grabbed the bit and gingerly brought back top side.. glad i had the collection off and that it wasnt a direct drop into the floor. would have been disaterous possibly.