New lathe arrival - and now on its feet! Pics!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
But only to Phoenix. I am going to go get it tomorrow. It'll be a 200+ mile round trip.

Seem the trucking company doesn't come to my part of the state except on Fridays. Since last Friday and this Friday are holidays, they seemed to be willing to let me wait until next week Friday! Not! :doh:

Got on the phone this morning looking for explanations about why the tracking showed it at the delivery terminal and that I would be called to arrange a delivery time and I hadn't heard anything since. That's been the situation since Dec. 24th. I ran out of patience and started calling.

There are always reasons to go to Phoenix, so I am preparing my list and I will be out of here early in the AM. Camera in hand.

Last edited:
Didn't you just call me "young lady" a few days ago? Made me feel real good, too.

Well, in terms of decades, I'm still in single digits! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nothing like a good road trip, and to go get your new lathe............. EVEN BETTER :thumb:

Drive safe.....

Have fun.....

and take some pics along the way, we all love a good road trip :D:wave:

I know how exciting it is to pick up a new lathe. I can hardly wait to see pictures of you and the lathe in the turning shack.

I remember when I picked up my lathe at the Richmond symposium. The anticipation was just like when I was a kid and Christmas was coming.

Have fun, be safe and turn on!

Just got back from lunch with Carrol. I had a good time talking woodworking and other things. She had the camera so you'll just have to wait for here to post the proof and she had a trailer with a great big box that said Jet on it. So I know she got a box with something in it..;)

Picture Proof!

Big Box waiting at the truck terminal.

Forklift driver was a comedian. Offered to load it on top of the mini van. :eek:

He set it atop a spare pallet so it could be loaded the long way.

He set it down on the trailer and then nudged it right where I wanted it.

Then I lashed it down for the long trip back home.

Its waiting for me to unload as I type.

After I hit 'post,' I'm heading out to do just that! And I'll take the camera!

Attachments

• 1 Jet Box at Trucking Terminal.jpg
    1 Jet Box at Trucking Terminal.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2 Jet Box at Trucking Terminal 2.jpg
    2 Jet Box at Trucking Terminal 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 3 Jet being loaded on the trailer.jpg
    3 Jet being loaded on the trailer.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 4 Jet being loaded on the trailer 2.jpg
    4 Jet being loaded on the trailer 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 5 Jet lashed down 2.jpg
    5 Jet lashed down 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 72
Carol,

What is the shipping weight on that? To unpack it, are you going to remove it from the trailer or strip off the packing and remove the lathe piece by piece (planning for the future and how I'll get mine home and unpacked)?

You are now in need of those two strong men and the boy I mentioned earlier... I saved the pallet mine (I got the 1442) came on... the plywood will just fit between the legs to form a nice shelf unit at the bottom... I should get that in place sometime this year..:D:D

It's all on its feet!

One wily female and Harbor Freight. No backs were injured in this operation.

I simply backed the trailer in under the hoist and the pictures tell the rest of the story.

476 pounds handled easily and safely - no lifting by me.

I still need to run the wiring and clean out the turning shack which is just behind it. I plan to pick it up and swing it 90 degrees. I'll put a block and tackle on it horizontally to drag one end into the shack doorway. Then I'll slide the headstock to the far end, and use Archimedes to lever it into place.

Stay tuned. This will take a bit.

Attachments

• Second leg attached.JPG
    Second leg attached.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • hoist does the heavy work.JPG
    hoist does the heavy work.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 81
  • lathe hooked up to life.JPG
    lathe hooked up to life.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 80
  • leg hooked to hoise - easier.JPG