A&C - Umbrella Stand - Recycle Bin

glenn bradley

Walt Caza over on another forum does some beautiful G&G and Mission style work. He cranked out an A&C umbrella stand that held a standard grocery bag for collecting junk mail and such for recycling.

I'm making one for me and one for mom. My take off on this idea varies from his but will be something like this (boy SU is great for this "what-if" stuff):

GnG-Umb-Stnd-2.jpg

I resawed the material for the panels:

1-GnG Umb Stnd-resaw.jpg

Ripped and milled the leg stock. I tried scraping all four sides while the legs were "ganged"; worked out nice:

2-GnG Umb Stnd gang scraper.jpg

Marking the selected outer faces helps assure success when mortising, DAMHIKT:

4-GnG Umb Stnd MP marks.jpg

Using a simple reference setup at the vise I can do all the mortises in one run:

3-GnG Umb Stnd MP setup.jpg

The Mortise Pal clamps to the leg roughly toward the end. This sets the depth that the leg will set into the vise.

5-GnG Umb Stnd MP on end.jpg

I set this assembly into the vise where I have a stop block clamped to the bench:

6-GnG Umb Stnd MP setup vise.jpg

The leg references off the clamp's bar:

7-GnG Umb Stnd leg ref.jpg

The MP slides down to hit the stop block:

8-GnG Umb Stnd MP ref.jpg

Using this method I cranked out 16 mortises before my coffee cooled down:

9-GnG Umb Stnd 16 mort.jpg

16 more to go. I stopped to post as I had to come in for more coffee anyway ;-) In my usual obnoxious pattern, I will drag you all with me as I go.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got you planning all up and going , and a good idea too :thumb: .... ......keep it up .:wave:............Marshall :type:

Umbrella Stand??? Does it rain out there??:D:D

Randy

Constantly. That whole sunny California hoax is a well constructed fantasy. I recommend anyone considering moving to California to make other plans. It is horrid out here. We've got a movie star for a governor for cryin' out loud.

what is that gizzmo your using glenn??? looks to be well built and does a fine job at making uniform mortises..:thumb::thumb:

Mortise Pal. Mine is the older version. Newer one is a little more friendly and deals with larger widths. As Paul notes, it is not inexpensive but has been well worth the price I paid. It is priced about right for a construction of this quality, just price the most basic Dowel-Max available.

I still do a lot of M&T by hand when they show. If I am just after the construction method, the MP is quick and easy. The main thing for me is the repeatable aspect as I often make things up as I go along and have to go back and make additional or modified parts ;-)

P.s. just noticed the kit price is about what I paid on sale a few years ago. Mine came with the Whiteside precision bushing and a 1/4" spiral bit. I believe it still does.

I would really like a mortise pal -- but it is going to have to get in line -- food, fuel, and doctor bills first.

Cross-members and Leg Details

The rail mortises are cut with a stop block setup not unlike the leg setup:

10-GUS-stile mort.jpg

Setup lines on the end of a rail allow the setting of the stop blocks on the first cut. All following mortises use the same stops:

11-GUS-stile mort.jpg

I make the tenon stock in batches, then cut to length as required:

12-GUS-stile mort.jpg

And (very anti-climactic) they go together like so:

13-GUS-stile mort.jpg

I used the Blacker House Leg jig from a previous project:

14-GUS Blacker jig.jpg

I used some thin strips of MDF as centering spacers as the jig is made for 1-1/2" legs and these are 1-1/4":

15-GUS Blacker jig.jpg

The rough cut comes out like so:

16-GUS Blacker jig.jpg17-GUS Blacker leg.jpg

After some shaping and initial touch sanding the floor end of the leg looks like so:

18-GUS BLacker leg.jpg

Hi Glenn

Just catching up on this thread. For the record you aint dragging me along, I follow you posts willingly. I learn so much from your posts but the to do list just never seems to end after seeing your posts.:rofl:

Thanks for the tutorial. I like those recesses in the legs. Nice touch.:thumb:

Back at it - Mortise and Panel Joinery

Work sure has a way of interrupting shop time. I really got used to that two weeks off. Anyway, I used the router table, fence and stop blocks to cut the mortises on the long rails:

19-GUS-long mort-1.jpg20-GUS-long mort-2.jpg

Same for the short rails. This is pretty quick when everything is the same (or supposed to be):

21-GUS-shrt mort.jpg

I had these all prepared to rough size last weekend:

22-GUS pnl-1.jpg

I use a stop block on the TS sled to cut the shoulders:

23-GUS pnl-2.jpg

I use the magnetic featherboard as a stop to rough cut the rest of the shoulder. This seems like an extra step but it really flys when you're doing so many:

24-GUS pnl-3.jpg

Two or three swipes with a chisel, per corner:

25-GUS pnl-4.jpg

And oneof the short end panels goes together like so:

26-GUS short pnl.jpg

Last edited:
glenn in your table and the long mortises, what are you running a up cut or down cut spiral? looks like you dont get any burning at all:thumb::thumb:

It is a Freud 5/16" spiral upcut so it is pulling towards the surface. I have a fair amount of mileage on this bit but it continues to cut clean.

Oh my goodness! When I mentioned in John Daugherty's thread that I had a project that had been getting ignored lke his jewelry cabinet I never dreamed I'd started this thing on New Year's Eve. What a slacker.

The finish is a Transtint brown mahogany with a dash of lemon yellow to light up the figure. I use DNA as a carrier and very thin clear de-waxed shellac as a barrier coat. Then a few coats of 2lb cut shellac rubbed out with 0000 steel wool loaded with paste wax.

Clamps, clamps, I love my clamps:

moms-umb-stnd-done 003.jpg

Here's some different views. Sized to take your average paper grocery bag. Interesting how the QSWO looks different from different angles. The flash over-emphasizes that. These were pretty much completely finished prior to assembly. I mention this as this comes up in discussion now and again:

moms-umb-stnd-done 004.jpgmoms-umb-stnd-done 005.jpgmoms-umb-stnd-done 009.jpg

I made one for my office as a waste paper "can" and one for mom's kitchen to replace an older paper recycle bin. Mom's like hummingbirds, my "can" just got the slots:

moms-umb-stnd-done 001.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Glenn. I really like the color. Like every one else said it is much to nice to put some umbrellas in. I really need to start experimenting with different methods of staining.