Let the weight loss begin

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm taking a journey I haven't taken in a while...dieting. I've never been much for real dieting, usually I just throw on some shoes and start running. However it seems like I always end up finding the weight I lost a few months back on just as quickly/

This time I need to do something different to keep the weight off. So I was searching fitness apps last night on my ipod touch and came across an app called 'Lose It' (http://www.loseit.com). It's a FREE app that lets you put in your current stats and set how many pounds you wish to lose. I've got a goal of losing 46 pounds. I chose to lose 2 pounds a week, so it says I should be 46 pounds lighter by June of 2010.

You basically keep a daily log of what you are eating and it totals up the calories for you and shows how much 'allowance' you have left for the day. I typically wouldn't do well at keeping track of calories, but the built in database is doing that for me, I just have to choose the food and the size of it.

I'm hoping that by keeping track of what I'm eating it will also make me more aware of what I'm eating to keep track of the other bad things I need to give up (sodium & sat. fat).

It will also let you log your exercise. It will subtract calories burned to allow for that after workout snack in your daily allowance.

So far, my habits aren't that far off from where I need to be. I could have given up a can of pop yesterday and met my allowance. :doh:

Good luck Darren. I too am going to join the hordes who resolve to lose weight in the new year. My goal is 10 lbs. by April and 20 lbs. by July. My plans are to begin exercising again (running on a treadmill and bicycling) and cutting down on the carbs, particularly refined sugar, white flour, rice, and potatoes.

My past efforts to lose weight haven't that been successful but I'm getting older (and heavier) so the stakes are more important than in the past. :eek:

Way to go Darren!

Put me on the list too.

I've got a program called FitDay I'll be using to track the 'gozintas', as well as my exercise activities. I'm going to try and follow a program called 'Fit For Life' that has different exercises for each day of the week.

I've got a weightbench and an elliptical machine less than 10' from my desk, so before I start work everymorning, I'm scheduling an appointment for 1 hour of time to use the darn machines!

Also, I've got myself scheduled with afternoon hiking appointments with my CMO (Chief Morale Officer) Starbuck to go hiking up in the hills behind the house chasing tennis balls (And or rabbits) all the way! :thumb:

I’m going back on Weight Watchers On Line tomorrow. It has a app like you are talking about, Darren. I dropped a bunch of weight before my knee replacement at the end of April, and have gained back 29 lbs. (still down 43 lbs from the worst). I can probably do some WiiFit exercises with my knee now. I’d like to lose 100 lbs.

Maybe we can post our weekly results here to help keep us on track.:type:

I bought the P90X program you may have seen on TV. It is a lot of work and a two hour a day commitment, but I dropped 15lbs in 8 weeks and have kept it off through the holiday gorging season. I plan to hit it again in March to get ready for swim wear season here in sunny central California. 20 pounds more to go. My wife is a hottie and I need to keep up. :thumb:

A big plus for me was keeping track of exactly what I ate and the calorie count as well. I kept a note book and filled it out each night after dinner. Fitday.com and calorieking.com have a lot of good info and tools for free.

Best of luck and just stick with it. Treat it as a lifestyle change and you'll do great.

Coupla years ago I decided that I needed to loose some weight. I cut out all fast food, ate salads for lunch, gave up all carbonated drinks and beer and lost 65 lbs over a 2 year period. I have since gained 20 lbs back but I thinks if I go back to watching what I eat I can take that off and more. It a matter of eating sensibly and exercising.

Mine started in July when I was sent to a new jobsite in Galveston. A 7 story building about 600' long. At the time we had a material hiost on one end to get people up and down but it was easier to walk the steps plus there was no a/c! I must have punched at least 4 new holes in my belt and loml bought me smaller pants and shirts and I think I'm ready for smaller pants again cuase these ones are starting to fall off me.

As far as foods I eat I haven't changed what I eat just how I eat. Skin comes of the chicken, fat trimmed from the steaks or whatever meat i'm eating And I don't overload my plate anymore. I still eat potatoe chips I just grab about 10 chips and put the bag away instead of leaving it in front of me. No more soda and I really cut back on the gatorade. Mostly water during the day with coffe in the morning and hot tea or iced tea in the evening.

I get no cravings since I haven't really cut anything I would normaly eat in the course of a day just how much of it. I don't even know how much I've lost since I don't own a scale and don't want one. I figure if I fit in smaller clothes then I'm losing something.

Darren,
cant use the app, (yet), but am starting a similar program for much the same reasons. Havent' set a goal yet for myself other than 'at least 52 lbs' by this time next year. HOpefully more than that. Best wishes on your plan, and really hope it works for you!

My Diabetes is my main motivator.

I have decided to NEVER go on another diet EVER again.

I still swear I will never diet again.

However, I DO need to get healtier.

So in August I started with a new doctor - and he pointed me to a nutritionalist. Sure it cost me some bucks - but it is teaching me a new way to live.

My goal is not weight loss.

My goal is health

As a result of my goal being health - I will loose weight.

In total - I beleive I will loose around 45 pounds. I don't really care how long it takes and it is not a goal.

My body will "settle in" at some point.

So far - since August - I have lost about 20 pounds, dropped my BMI 3 points, and lost about 3 inches off my waist.

My New Years resolution is to continue.

The program is called "Transitions" and is based on the low glycemic index.

To me, it just makes sense.

I will never diet again

I have check out and played with quiet a few weight loss sites and systems and by far my favorite life changing tool is www.sparkpeople.com. It is a really great site with tons and tons of articles and information, tips and tools, including exercise programs and food trackers and PEOPLE... there is a huge section just for blogs and forums for people to keep motivated. All of it is free.. including one of my favorite parts, their recipe calculator! You take *your* homemade recipe and plug it into their calculator with the number of servings and it gives you the nutrition info per serving! Totally invaluable to a person like me who makes almost everything from scratch.
I have about 30lbs I would like to loose myself (hushup larry) to be back to a place of happy in my skin... been too long living in someone else's ;)