give me a break makita

allen levine

An otherwise spectacular piece of machinery, the sliding 10inch mitre is quite a deal as sliding mitres go.
Adjustability, sliding mechanics, ease of use, all make this a perfect machine for anyone....wait...uh.......why did makita cheap on the blade cover.
4 plastic pegs that are part of the blade cover snap into the center disc part that is screwed on to the cover, has the spring attached and this attaches to the blade. Problem is its 4 little plastic pegs, and plastic pegs wont stand up very long, as Ive already replaced my cover(holding the broken one in my hand)
Im a little dissapointed in makita for not putting maybe a metal rivet or pin in the plastic pegs place, and Im very dissapointed at my tool guy charging me the 16 dollars for the piece.
5-6 grand in equipment purchases (machines, blades, bits, etc) over the past 18 months, not the right thing to do in my book.
So Im looking for a new tool guy now.
I hope someone at makita reads this, that cover needs a small change.
Im no T or S, Im not a tool maven nor do I know alot about tools, but theres 1000 of me for every T, Im the guy that buys these new tools..

Attachments

• wood stuff 1576 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1576 (Medium).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Allen, I deal with NY & NJ tool guys all day and have a ton of contacts. I'd be happy to give you some names. I can get you real good discounts if you don't mind going over the GW bridge to Ridgefield NJ. AW Meyer is (was :() one of my best customers. I buy most of my bigger tools there at 10 over cost.

allen is that the newer model? i have the last version of the 12" saw and i like most of it but the guard really chaps me. it is terribly designed because it always seems to get in the way, when plunging into a cut and when sliding the saw back during a cut.

i had been looking at the newer model 10" saw because my 12" is just to heavy for jobsite use, i get tired of lugging it around.

hope that new guard lasts longer.

Chris If you think your Makita is to bulky for the job site. Stay clear of the Hitachi C12LSH At 66 lbs it's 14 lbs heaver than the Makita and way bulkier than the Makita.
I have an old 12" Makita got it in the late 90's. As of yet I have not had any trouble with the guard.

The one I own is about 6 months or so old.
Im not 100% sure if a new model has come out yet.

when I went into the showroom, the 12 inch model had a different blade cover, not only in size.

The one I own is about 6 months or so old.
Im not 100% sure if a new model has come out yet.

when I went into the showroom, the 12 inch model had a different blade cover, not only in size.

At that age I would think it is still under warranty. I would check with Makita on that. If it is than I would send them a copy of the bill for the fix. It may cost your tool guy his Makita dealer ship. On the other hand he may not be an authorized Makita service center. If he is not he should have sent you to one or like mine does sent it out for you.
Anyways it sounds like a new tool store is in order.:thumb:
Yup just checked the part sounds like it should have been covered. Here is a link http://www.cpomakita.com/warranties.html

Last edited:
thats my beef with my tool guy chuck, I paid cash and for some reason with all the reciepts I have, me and my wife could not find the one for that machine. And I couldnt pinpoint the date, and I still feel the tool guy should have stepped up and taken the issue up with Makita on my behalf. He seemed to want no part of it.
And the second insult, was that he kept asking me if I forced a piece of oversized wood that would have snapped the blade guard off, and to be honest, I never forced anything on that saw, since its a slider, I worked very slow and deliberately with it, never fast or forceful. Im thinking maybe he felt the company would stick him and tell himi the customer broke the part by misuse or something.
Its just that sometimes I feel the dealer has to step up a bit. I dont know how many blades and bits I bought from him, but Im sure the profit from just my blades and bits alone would make up for his trouble, and not to mention maybe the next 15 years worth of business Id give him, like a mortiser shortly, a lathe stand.....raised panel bit, rail and style set, and at the rate I build and cut, alot, and I mean alot of blades.

Last edited:
thats my beef with my tool guy chuck, I paid cash and for some reason with all the reciepts I have, me and my wife could not find the one for that machine. And I couldnt pinpoint the date, and I still feel the tool guy should have stepped up and taken the issue up with Makita on my behalf. He seemed to want no part of it.

It says right on his computer when you bought the saw. If you filled out the card and sent it in Makita can tell you when you got it.
At any rate the guy sounds like a bit of a shyster and should be steered clear of.:thumb:

after sorting through bags and bags of disgusting garbage(new years eve party last night, and a few days worth of trash, coffee grinds, etc)......I was not successful looking for the reciept of the part I bought.
Im sure I could go back and get another one and submit it, eh, not anymore.

I still feel this should and could have been handle a bit better on the sellers end, but live and learn I guess.

The serial # on your saw will tell Makita when it was made, when it was shipped to your dealer, if there were any recalls, and the approximate date you bought it.
I can kind of understand why your dealer charged for the part. Business is soooo bad in this industry that many tool and contractor suppliers are going out of business. They can't give the "freebies" they used to do. However, if you are such a good customer it is business suicide to tick off loyal customers right now. Competition is tough.

Last edited:
after sorting through bags and bags of disgusting garbage(new years eve party last night, and a few days worth of trash, coffee grinds, etc)......I was not successful looking for the reciept of the part I bought.
Im sure I could go back and get another one and submit it, eh, not anymore.

I still feel this should and could have been handle a bit better on the sellers end, but live and learn I guess.

I staple the receipt onto the inside of the cover of the owners manuals. However, I agree with the others, if you registered, the manufacturer would have the info in their computers.

One word, DeWalt (does that name count as one or two words?:huh::dunno:). My poor saw has had 2x12's flip off the end of the arms and bang the cover and pinch the cover and the cover has held the one end while I deal with the other end. Yeah, now that I say this, probably go out today and cut a pen blank and the cover will fall off!:doh::eek::(. But seriously, this has been a tremendous saw if you feel the need to just return the saw to the store.

I dont want to be misread or misunderstood. I believe the saw itself is a winner. Stable, accurate, etc.
I think alot of people dont care about blade guards as I see so many machines with them removed.
Its not 16 dollars that is going to motivate me to do much else.
I didnt feel the part was up to par with the rest of the machine, plastic little pegs, eh....what do I know. But I do know that I should have a bit of support from the dealer as far as let me make a call for you and see what makita says. Thats all I wanted from the dealer. I know parts break, or might be defective, although I find the plastic pegs a bit weak, but then again, what do I know.
Moving on, gotta finish the painting so I can get to the molding, where Ill really need the mitre saw.
GO JETS!(its all we NYers got left to cheer for, now that is depressing)

I believe my tool guy thinks I broke the part by forcing a larger piece of wood and trying to bevel cut something.
Ive broken or damaged a few tools in 3 years Ive been woodworking.
My dewalt router went, I believe my tool guy replaced bushings.
I cut the cord on my hand held electric planer when the cord got tangled and I accidently knicked it, the tool guy replaced it.
I didnt know bostich brads would ruin my PC nailer, so I had to have that repaired, by my tool guy.
I forced a piece of wood with a bad blade through the band saw, needed a new blade, new throat plate and new tires, I paid for it all, no questions.
I paid for all my errors. Im new at this, Im still learning, and I admit and pay for what I did wrong.
The tin metal fan in the Ridgid motor on my TS broke after a few months, that I brought to a ridgid service center and no questions asked, they repaired it right away for me, I was not responsible for that.
My harbor freight lathe stopped working after one week, that was most likely a switch went bad, I returned it. Again, not my fault.
Thats the extent of my tool damage, besides a few hand tools Ive dropped and had to replace parts on them, not big deals, dropping something happens to everyone.
I break it, I pay for it. If its a defective or inferior part, on something relatively new, I feel the dealer or manufacturer has to step foward.

There are only so many Tods, Alans, or Chucks in the world, but for each one of them,(meaning guys that can take apart any machine with a toothpick) there are 1000 guys like me. Im the weekender that buys all these non-industry/commercial type higher end machines for hobby use and Im the guy the dealers and companies should think about more. I am their market.

Im sorry if I vented here, the wrong place to discuss my dissapointment. If this thread is innappropiate for this forum, please feel free to delete it. (moderators)

Last edited:
To me you hit the nail on the head. You had a history with this man with your tool purchases and repairs. You owned up when it was your fault if you broke a tool of yours and he should have treated you better and took your word that this case is a manufacturer problem. A man that doesn't stand behind his customers and the products he sells doesn't deserve your bussines or anyones else!

not very happy with the outcome, Im inclined to give Makita one more try.
My ryobi lithium battery went dead after a little more than a year.
The three standard batteries, 2 are almost dead, one is ok, but the drill driver sounds as if its on its last legs, the motor sounds bad, after 3 years of heavy, heavy use, and many, many drops, freezing temps, 100 degree temps exposure, I have zero complaints on it, but compact seems the way for me to go. Makita seems to take top prizes on all the reviews.
Anyone know of a good reason I shouldnt pull the trigger on the Makita 18V lithium compact set tonight?

No haven't got any reasons why not to.:thumb:
But I would get it on line:thumb:
Me being me might just swing by the tool guys store when it comes in on the brown truck and show off my new set to the old tool guy.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
Oh and yes I have done that on more than one occasion.:thumb:
But that's a whole other thread called tool shopping 101. Have used it on cars too.

Last edited:
sorry , once again I proved how little I know about tools.
The lithium battery on the ryobi is just fine, I did not know that when the battery gets so cold it wont recharge.
My son told me take it into the house and let it sit. And after it sat all day, I pressed the charge light, and nothing. He told me to just stick it in the charger now, and its almost fully charged.
Im still getting the Makita.
Chuck-I was going to go into the tool guy and order an extra mortise and chisel set, after I get my mortiser, and tell him I decided on the jet, and just leave it at that.