Sound Baffels for Church

Bartee Lamar

Hey guys, I am catching up on some posting as I build my new website.

These are some sound baffels I made for our church. We have a orchestra of about 20 pieces, so the sound guy has to fight a lot of problems to isolate sound, especially the horns.

These are ash with 1/2 HD Sandeply backs. Dados for the plywood back and pocket hole screws for the butt joints between the sides and the end-caps.

There were 8 needed. I made a prototype then 7 more in a production run.

It took me about 3 weeks.

Click for a complete album on my web site.

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

Very cool Bartee, and a nice tutorial to boot. I probably need something like this at our church too. When you have a chance would you post a pic of them as they will be used? I had always envisioned panels like this attached to walls, not free standing, I'd like to see how they are put to use.

Church pictures added

Very cool Bartee, and a nice tutorial to boot. I probably need something like this at our church too. When you have a chance would you post a pic of them as they will be used? I had always envisioned panels like this attached to walls, not free standing, I'd like to see how they are put to use.

Rennie,

Here ya go. I took these this morning before church. I talked with the guitar player who sits in front of the brass section. He said the baffels made a hugh difference.

I also talked with one of the sound techs. He is also very happy with them. Last week they had the college band. The positioned the baffels in front of the electric guitar amps. He said it worked great to kill some of the sound.

I am updating the web album also so you can see some larger pictures, but this will help I am sure.

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

Last edited:
Well done. I'm sure important to the sound.
Many churches, large and small, are designed to retain some traditional visual effects. This greatly affects how sound travels.
I see a lot of fellowship halls with cathedral ceilings. This causes sounds to reverberate and can make even a small gathering sound like a can factory. Sound baffles can be a real blessing.