drawer construction?

larry merlau

if you have a set of drawers to make and your lumber is better on one side than the other, which side goes in to the drawer and what goes out to be seen each time it opens? solid wood not ply.

I'd put the good side in. I never look at the out side of a drawer when I open it.
Gotta go with Don. I shellac the inside of all my drawers and sand smooth so's not to catch on clothing, etc. The only people who look at the outside of the drawers will be other woodworkers so they can check out your joinery.:rofl:

Huh, I always put the ugly stuff on the inside, as once it's full of crap who's gonna see it anyway?

Now which way does everyone run the grain for bottoms?

What do you mean "ugly", knots/sapwood? I try to avoid the large knots and defects. For the front the better side goes out and for the sides and back I would put the nicer face in, but if the wood is that ugly why are you using it?

Karl, the grain for the bottom should run side to side so the wood movement can happen at the back. The back shouldn't have a groove for the bottom and shouldn't enclose the bottom in the drawer box(the bottom should slide from the back)

ERIC its not that bad, but every board has a better side, and i was asking to see what the majority thought.. now as for the bottom, if its ply i try to run the grain long ways. but is there a RIGHT way? and KARL i was leaning toward the good side out as well.. thats what i look at if a drawer is opend nearby..but in the past have ran it in.. just thought it would be intersting to hear what the wize ones thought..

Good side out and grain running front to back. I close all side of the bottom in movement can happen in the grove just as raised panels do. That and I hate it when the bottom on the back of the drawer lets go and you start to lose stuff out the gap where the bottom is sagging.