Qtr sawn oak finish

larry merlau

ok folks, whats your favorite finish for showing the fleck pattern in QTR sawn oak?
Dye?, and if so what mix.
Stain what color, and if you have any pics show them off

i am looking for a medium brown..and i have some lighter wood that i need to blend in with some darker wood.
thanks for the help:thumb:

don you got a recipe for a trans tint color, i have used 1/4 cup of shellac with 12 drops of golden brown and its to light..looked tonight at wood crafts sample board of trans tint and what i got outa my mix isnt where jeffs sample board is???

Since all wood stain has finely ground pigment in it, it will cloud the finish. I happen to like the tone that linseed oil imparts to q-sawn oak. It turns it a golden color & allows the flecks to show just beautifully. Wipe on a wet coat, let soak in for while & wipe away. You can do this until the wood soaks no more & just leave it if you don't want a shiney on-the-surface look, or let it dry a few days & apply your choice of on-the-surface finishes. For interior use where I don't worry about water marks, I like a clear shellac lightly rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. Otherwise a clear poly is good. If you use shellac, make sure the linseed oil has cured for several days, as it's a different solvent base that the oil.