Hello every one It's time for snowmen.

Chuck Thoits

Ok so now that the holiday rush is over it's time to get back out in the shop.
So we have just the reason to get you motivated.:thumb:
Last year we had some fun making snowmen so it's on again.

THE RULES
1 You must ship your snowman to the winner.
2 You must put your mark on said snowman.
3 A pic of the entree must be emailed to me.
4 The winner will be decided by a poll of the members.
5 No pics of your snowman to be posted by the maker until the poll closes.
So last year it was a turned only thing this year it is open to how ever you want to make a snowman. It must be made from one or all of the following.
Wood, bone, antler, acrylic, Or some other synthetic wood type material and lets not forget metal.
So remember we don't care how you make it whittle it carve it turn it matters not just do it.:thumb:
The make part of this will run to February20th. Some time shortly after that a poll will be posted for 10 days and the winner will be announced.
IF YOU WANT IN ON THIS YOU CAN POST HERE BUT YOU WILL NEED TO PM ME FOR THE EMAIL ADDRESS TO SEND YOUR PIC TO.
If I do not have a pic of the finished snowman by 2/20/10 your not entered.
And here would be last years group. And yes they are residing on my desk.:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• tn_snowman 005.JPG
    tn_snowman 005.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Hey Larry notice that the rules where change just so you could enter:thumb::thumb:
That means we expect to see a snowman come out of your shop. :thumb::rofl:

Man I got a ton of stuff to complete, but count me in!!!
Now I have to go read the rules!
Naw, read them Saturday night, won't be able to get to it until Sunday at the earliest anyway!

Chuck, one of those snowmen on your desk looks suspiciously like Mr Hanky.... :rofl:

Heck, If you let Mr. Hanky in, I guess you can count me in for a snowman...

Well that was fun. Gave it a shot turning one today. Got the three round parts kind of there, the brim of the hat and the hat. STarted thinking, "Hey, This actually looks like a snow man".

I had been using a spindle gouge, Then started looking and it and thought "You know, This needs to be cleaned up a little bit... With a SKEW!". :rolleyes:

So there I was, trying to clean up the head right under the hat when "Kablooey!", I got a nice catch with the skew and tore the hat right off the whole darn thing. :doh:

Back to the drawing board! :thumb:

Brent, the secret to using a skew is to keep it razor sharp. That way it's more likely to stick when you throw it into the wall on the other side of the shop.

At least that's how it works best for me. :D

People who use that tool just ain't right. Why do you think they call it a "skew", anyway? :rofl:

I knew I was doing something wrong!

Oh well, I'll give it another try tomorrow...

But it was fun to get the shop cleaned up and give it a try. Tomorrow I'll try and knock one out and then back to the table. So many projects, so little time...