Art deco headphones

Joseph Shaul

I'm not entirely sure where to post this, as the exterior contains no metal whatsoever. :eek: However, quite a lot of the innards will be made out of wood bits, and for lack of a better place to put it...I'll put it here. :)

Anywho, I'm starting with some Grado SR60s. While not bad headphones for the money, they are made out of rather a lot of nasty plastic. So nasty, in fact, that someone broke the headband assembly, and I was able to pick them up quite cheaply secondhand. :)

base_media

And this is what they'll look like after I rebuild them. All I'm keeping is the earpads and the little speaker-y bits - the rest is being made by hand. (I haven't finished designing the headband assembly yet.) I'll probably do something similar to the original headband, only with a set screw for the height and with a headband made out of creamy-brown leather instead of vinyl.

Any thoughts? :)

Thanks for the compliments. :D

Does anyone know the best way to render an arch in SketchUp that's narrower at the ends than it is in the middle? I'm having a heckuva time getting it to work.

Progress has been made!

Next step: To make the retaining ring, attach the mounting tubes, and figure out how the fnord to make things out of leather.

So far so good !:thumb::thumb: some brass pieces and some decoration and they would be a great steampunk example.

I know that is not what you want but keep the idea for a second set;)

Ignorant question: Does the depth of the "can" affect the sound? If so, how do you go about tuning them? Is there an ideal target frequency? I assume in a closed system the depth would play a big part, but in an open one like yours...I dunno. That's why I ask. :)

It's gonna look cool when done. Looking forward to seeing this project progress. :lurk:

Well, one step forwards, three steps back - I managed to rather severely botch measuring the holes for the bits of tube. Oh, well...at least copper pipe is fairly cheap!