bed rail fasteners

I'm sure the experts here will have a better idea but when I had to cut mortises in the end rails of the bed I just made I used my dowel centering jig and drilled a series of holes then cleaned out the cut. I suppose I could of built a template and used my router but I didn't want to take the time.

from what i have seen chris they used a slot cutter the kerf isnt much more than a 1/8" saw kerf. you can position your hooks on the outside to get the pin location its the deep kerf thats the pain.

My first wife and I had a high dollar bed we bought from Ethan Allan that used those type of bed rail fasteners... it was a pretty bed, but it was a pain in the old pastutty to put that thing together...

anyone know how to install these...

http://www.vandykes.com/product/205884/bedrail-fasteners

this wouldn't be my choice for fasteners for a bed but the headboard and foot board are already set up for this type and i am making replacement rails.

i assume i need a deep slot to slide it in on the end of the rail, then drill holes to set those metal pins thru...or am I just missing it?

thanks
chris
I would be surprised if newly purchased fasteners would fit the existing pins in the head and foot board unless they were by the same company. But let's say we got lucky and they do fit since we have a slot to work with. And speaking of slots, note the angle of the leading edge of the slot. You may or may not know the purpose of the taper is to draw the rails tight into the head and foot boards so the pins should never reach the slot bottoms. This is why a hammer is often used/needed to disassemble.

And of coarse this brings up the subject of careful measurement. So if I were attempting this I would probably do a prototype with a piece of scrap. As for cutting the slot with the limited equipment I have I'd probably clamp a couple of hand saws together that gives about the correct kerf , and cut them by hand leaving just a little X-tra wood to sand out by hand .