Feeling old today

...Just yesterday I was changing the diaper, soon she will be wanting the car keys...

I see I'm a couple months late on this thread, but if you were changing your 15 year old daughter's diaper yesterday, maybe she's not quite ready to drive yet. :p

Congrats on easing your way into the world of an old man. :thumb: I'm sure she'll do just fine. It was you who raised her, after all. ;)

Well I guess I should throw out an update. As of today she now has her drivers license.

Yes, well... try having a boy. :doh:

Then try having six of them! :rofl:

Three boys are quite enough, Bill! ;)

And Steve, as my oldest turns 14 tomorrow, it is comforting to read of you surviving your daughter getting a license... because I have to say that the thought of my son driving a car kind of gives me the willies. Let's just say that there better be a LOT of maturing happening in the next two years! :rolleyes:

And Bill... From what I've heard, boys are more difficult in childhood, but girls are (ahem) more "challening" in adolescence. :doh: Glad I've only got one of those!

...art

Three boys are quite enough, Bill! ;)

And Steve, as my oldest turns 14 tomorrow, it is comforting to read of you surviving your daughter getting a license... because I have to say that the thought of my son driving a car kind of gives me the willies. Let's just say that there better be a LOT of maturing happening in the next two years! :rolleyes:

And Bill... From what I've heard, boys are more difficult in childhood, but girls are (ahem) more "challening" in adolescence. :doh: Glad I've only got one of those!

...art

i can relate to adolence and girls,, but its wasnt to bad i had abig stick and kept them away fro several years,,neither marred before they were 28 and they lived under my roof till 25 or so..then i let them check out the other pastures:):rofl::rofl:

ps: my almost 14yr old is at 5'7.5", and I think his feet are almost the same size as mine. I think my tall wife (5'10") only has a year at most that she can still "tower" over him. :rolleyes: My days are probably numbered as well...

Steve

My youngest daughter started at Michigan State this year. That makes me think I may be aging, even though I promised myself not to give in. If I could come up with a tonic that kept them the same, all my girls would be about 8 years old.;)

Steve

My youngest daughter started at Michigan State this year. That makes me think I may be aging, even though I promised myself not to give in. If I could come up with a tonic that kept them the same, all my girls would be about 8 years old.;)

I've said all young life, that if I had had the power, my son would have stayed 10 years old... I think that's a perfect age for boys... old enough you can have a conversation with them, but still young enough to be in awe of the world...:D

BTW, my oldest grand daughter (actually wife's but she shares with me) just started her Junior year at the University of Illinois... she'll be 20 in June.

I know the feeling Steve.

I asked a guy that was younger than I thought he was.

We were talking about military campaigns & equipment.

I told him about being in Desert Storm & asked if he had watched any of the coverage on TV back when it happened. He said I was only 5 years old.

Well, If you have enough of them, you get numb after a while, and too tired to worry. My daughter who is 17 just takes the car keys, it's when she asks for gas money that I feel the pain.

When I am 66 my youngest will be 18.

Out of 12 kids one is graduated from college, one is in seminary and one is running around the country working for an evangelist. The rest are eating me out of house and home. :D The college graduate is just getting back from a mission trip to Peru, and has just informed me that she is "dating a guy". I do trust her judgment so I will have to meet the young lad sometime soon. She is working in an inner city mission.

I have 7 sons and they are great workers. I am very grateful for all the wood hauling they do when I fell trees, and do just about anything else.

So far, only my 6 and 8 year olds spend time in the wood shop. Although my 11 year old daughter will work with me when I have a big pen order.

There is no such thing as being bored at our house. :D

as most of you with older kids like me know, we have to trust our children make the right choices as that is a reflection of how we raised them.
They are going to make mistakes, and we have to be there for damage control, a shoulder to lean on, or just an observer no matter how much it hurts us.
been there, done that many times. Raising children is not for wimps.

Yeah, there's nothing like kids to destroy your residual self image. My daughter is 31 and that's just plain impossible.

as most of you with older kids like me know, we have to trust our children make the right choices as that is a reflection of how we raised them.
They are going to make mistakes, and we have to be there for damage control, a shoulder to lean on, or just an observer no matter how much it hurts us.
been there, done that many times. Raising children is not for wimps.

This is exactly how I feel. Our job as parents is to raise them to be independent, and sometimes it hurts when they get very independent...;) I want my kids to be happy and productive members of society. The rest is gravy. As much as I'd like to be managing their affairs :D I have to step back and try to keep my worries in check. Sometimes it's scary. We feel your pain, Steve.

It's funny Steve should resurrect this thread because just tonight my oldest, who's turning 15 in a couple of weeks informed me that's she's getting her learner's permit right away.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. She's a good kid and a straight A student and all but her grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Example, for quite awhile now, in all seriousness, she's been saying she wants a Bentley when she turns 16. When informed that they're kind of expensive she said ok, she'll take an Escalade instead. :doh:

In spite of her grand aspirations, I have no intentions of buying her a car. Frankly, I'm not thrilled about paying the $500 her mandatory driving instruction class is going to cost me.

When I used to see discussions like this, I was always glad that LOML and I only have dogs, since dogs don't end up wanting to drive. But then I saw this guy a while back. I guess the laws here in California are a bit different than elsewhere. They not only allow dogs to drive, they allow handicapped dogs to drive. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

I just better not let my dogs see this pic. I know Dakota will start hounding me to get his learner's permit if he ever sees it.

Attachments

• Handicapped Dog Driver.jpg
    Handicapped Dog Driver.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 27