Larry's Generosity - Big Hickory

So I have been terribly negligent in getting some nice pieces of hickory turned. It's been almost an entire year since Larry brought me several sweet chunks of hickory. I finally got to roughing out the largest one a few months ago, so here's some pics.

Of course, I decided to rough out this monster with a nub of a bowl gouge, and I ran out of tool. So I still haven't roughed out the inside. DOH! However, I did finally get a new 3/4" bowl gouge from Doug Thompson....woohoo! But the rough bowl is a block of ice right now, so it may be a while before the rest of it is complete.

Anywho, here's the beginnings of the largest natural edge bowl I have made to date. It started as a blank that was at least 150 lbs. By the time it got on the lathe it was still well over 100 lbs, and I barely was able to clear the headstock with the bark wings. I actually had to chisel a couple areas in order for it to swing clear.

The following pics show how I get a huge rough blank prepared for the lathe. I cut a flat for the faceplate by cutting slots with a chainsaw, then knock them out with a chisel. I follow this with a large forstner bit, leveling an area large enough to mount my 6" faceplate to. I also trim it as close to round as possible, again with the chainsaw, then on the lathe it goes. With a piece this heavy, I really wish I had some type of pulley system or winch! After making sure all areas clear the lathe, I bring up the tailstock, and fire up the lathe at 120 rpms or so.

More pics to follow. :) Thanks again Larry!!

Hutch

P.S. Almost forgot to say that rough blank was about 23" in diameter.

Attachments

• Hickory 1.jpg
    Hickory 1.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Hickory 2.jpg
    Hickory 2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Hickory 3.jpg
    Hickory 3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Hickory 4.jpg
    Hickory 4.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Hickory 5.jpg
    Hickory 5.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Hickory 6.jpg
    Hickory 6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Wow Hutch, that is some chunk of wood!! :thumb:

For that kind of work, you really need an Easy Wood turning tool, the Ci1 would be perfect, it would rough that bad boy out in no time at all.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Carbide Rougher

I haven't had an opportunity to use a C1 yet, nor have I seen one used in a demo. I have been wondering how much it may cut down time on a chunk this size. This took me almost 5 hrs of work just to get this far!! (including chainsaw time) But my lathe's drive system is also very inefficient, has belt slipping issues, and really is easy to slow down on a blank this size. 2 hp and a leather belt just doesn't cut it!

As for danger, it's actually rather safe, mainly due to the way this lathe was built. Don't get me wrong, turning it was a total adrenaline rush, but there wasn't any vibration in the lathe. Ah, gotta love the way things used to be built....... :D

Hutch

P.S. Not much to see here, but I shot this short video before I roughed the outside. Spinnin' Hickory

Last edited:
That's a great-looking piece of wood, Hutch. :thumb:

I have, use, and love my Ci1, but for something like this, I'd be starting with the 3/4" Thompson. I prefer to use a sharpenable edge when I'm dealing with bark and all the surprises it can hold. (One rock and the carbide edge is toast.) Once the bark edge is defined, then the Ci1 can speed things up a bit. ;)

.... But my lathe's drive system is also very inefficient, has belt slipping issues, and really is easy to slow down on a blank this size. 2 hp and a leather belt just doesn't cut it!....
Spinnin' Hickory

What's the history on your lathe? It looks like it might have a story behind it.

Could you put some sort of rosin on the inside of the leather belt to reduce slipping?

Cheers,

What's the history on your lathe? It looks like it might have a story behind it...

Yeah Hutch, you should post some pics of your lathe when you get a chance. I remember seeing pics over on SMC when you got it, but I don't think you've posted any here. (Or if you have, I've forgotten.)