Stains colour

Rod Upfold

Years ago I used a gel stain on new wood trim to match the old trim that was in the house. Well that gel has disappeared from the stores.

I have purchased different mahogany liquid stains trying to match the colour...in both water based and oil based they are much to red. I am trying to get a browner colour to the mahogany stain.

Any ideas how to brown up some of these overly red mahogany stains?

Thank you

Years ago I used a gel stain on new wood trim to match the old trim that was in the house. Well that gel has disappeared from the stores.

I have purchased different mahogany liquid stains trying to match the colour...in both water based and oil based they are much to red. I am trying to get a browner colour to the mahogany stain.

Thank you
add some green tint.

I just ordered a 'woodworkers' kit of Mixol tints, thinking it would be handy just for this reason. I'm going to be putting in some trim and will need to make the stain match the blinds we've already put up.

The kit comes with 10 bottles of colors, and a little color chart to help you figure out the mixes..

Supposedly the tints and very concentrated and suitable for just about any water or solvent based product out there.

I just ordered a 'woodworkers' kit of Mixol tints, thinking it would be handy just for this reason. I'm going to be putting in some trim and will need to make the stain match the blinds we've already put up.

The kit comes with 10 bottles of colors, and a little color chart to help you figure out the mixes..

Supposedly the tints and very concentrated and suitable for just about any water or solvent based product out there.

IT sounds like the way to go...

Went to Woodcraft website and priced it to me here in Canada...Canadian dollars, transportation, duty and taxes - WOW...doubled the price.

I guess this will be another incentive to get my passport...I have a place in Port Huron that accepts orders for Canadian.

IT sounds like the way to go...

Went to Woodcraft website and priced it to me here in Canada...Canadian dollars, transportation, duty and taxes - WOW...doubled the price.

I guess this will be another incentive to get my passport...I have a place in Port Huron that accepts orders for Canadian.

Yeah, I think it was like 41 bucks. I almost went with the 99$ set, but figured this would have what I need.

I never realized the trouble you guys north of the border had to go through to get stuff from the US. I've ordered some modeling stuff from Taiwan before, and it was relatively painless. But from some of the stories I've read here, getting simple things from the US can be quite a pain.

stain color

Thank you

What kind of stain was it?

mixing made easy

:type::type:Get some test blocks of the molding in the same species of wood , maybe a length of it take a black marker and make lines on it about 4 to 6 inches apart start with your stain, then add a drop of brown compatible stain , then test , repeat this process until it starts to match , ( keep adding the brown until it matches may take up to an ounce for every eight ounces of original stain or so , make sure you continiously stir the stain once you have a match , so it stays mixed sometime you can use dye stains as well to achieve matches, remeber to start out small to achieve the big picture may take some fusing over but well worth it. Remember also to put your clear finish or top coat on test blocks as this will tend to darken the stain as well. This way once all is dry you end up with definite sample block in the color you want , if not exact try some compatabile color of spray (Mohawk toner) over stain and then topcoat ..:type::type::type::type::dunno::thumb: I hope this helped!

The universal tints are a great way to go. Remember :::::::: small amounts at 1st. You can always darken but you can lighten. For the beginner a good wood stain color wheel is a handy tool.