Cut twice and its still to short

Don Baer

Staff member
:eek: Well while working on the commision chairs today, I re-cut the pieces for the side spindles. I wanted 9 1/4 " the last ones I made were also supposed to be 9 1/4" but for some reason they came out 8 3/4. Today I remade them and they came out 8 1/2". So I quite for the day.:(:eek:

Where are you finding maple at those prices? I haven't seen anything really nice around here for less than about $12 per board foot.

Of course the East Coast guys scoff at our high wood prices, but on the other hand, I've been wearing a t-shirt all day, and they're freezing their tails off. :p

Where are you finding maple at those prices? I haven't seen anything really nice around here for less than about $12 per board foot.

Of course the East Coast guys scoff at our high wood prices, but on the other hand, I've been wearing a t-shirt all day, and they're freezing their tails off. :p

Sumthin about shipping heavy, bulky stuff 3,000 miles, I hear.... :rofl: :rofl:

With all the hot air you'd think it would be warm there....but it ain'!:rofl:

Cut twice and still too short? Never had that happen. Although, I've been surprised at how many times my projects turn out smaller than originally planned.:eek::rofl:

Hey, that isn't to short for pen blanks! We will turn that raw product from Don into some nice pens for the troops. I have been talking with Don, we are going to make these pens then send them to his son and platoon or group (I am non military so don't know what to properly call his group). So a mistake? Nope, an opportunity!! And together we will create some priceless memories hopefully!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I pay $3.50 for hard maple 4/4 with some figure in it and 4.5 for 8/4, 6.80 for 12/4. I buy it from Powers wood source and Timber hard woods. The stuff from Powers comes from his own mill and Timber hets his out of Michigan. Have you tried Reel Lumber in Anaheim.

Here in Nebraska, I've been wearing a t-shirt all day too......under a flannel shirt AND sweatshirt:rofl::rofl: Rumor is it's going to be up around 30 degrees by Sunday.....think I might work on my tan.:D

BTW maple around here is about $2.50 to $3.00 BF My favorite sawmill gets 6 bucks for the curly stuff.

Last edited:
... Have you tried Reel Lumber in Anaheim.

I don't use enough flat lumber to warrant a 3+ hour round trip. (Don't really have room to store much lumber, either.) There's also Bohnhoff Lumber in downtown LA that's supposed to real good, but it'd be 1 1/2 to 2 hours of driving round trip, plus the joys that come with downtown LA. Lot of hassle for a couple board feet of wood every once in a while. So I stick with either Arroyo Hardwoods or Rockler, and just get one or two boards at a time. (And only tend do that a couple or three times a year.)