Genkan Bench

I got a very short amount of time today down in the Dungeon, and I went to work on the one board, just to get it a bit flatter, so I can cut it in half, then use the power jointer to flatten it.

Boy that hand planing rough, OK VERY rough wood is hard work :bonkers:

True, it is very rough, off the chainsaw mill, operated by unskilled hands (me!) and it had a fairly large cup in the center, but yeah, big time kudos to the old time carpenters who had to do this grunt work by hand :bow: I'll sure be glad to be moving to the power jointer :thumb:

I did answer one question for myself, I'll be saving my pennies to spend on a Lie-Nielsen plane in the future, not trying to rehab an old plane, seriously, if I did get an old one, I'd have to have a Bedrock, and they, with a good blade are often on par price wise, with a new LN or LV plane. :dunno:

I used my low rent scrub plane to take most of the worst high point off the board, then I tried with my #5C, the one with the Sweet Heart laminated blade in it, and it chattered and bounced all over the place, frustrating! I then got out the LN #62 Low Angle Jack plane, and opened up the mouth, and set it to take a heavy cut..... wow, what a great tool that is, really nice to use and made the work a LOT easier too.

SN3D2747.jpg
This is not really flat, but it is flat enough that I can see where I want to cut it and I can run the Festool saw over it now.

Cheers!

I have the LN low angle jack as well. It brings a smile to my face every time I use it. :)

I have a badly damaged back and neck from a car wreck 9 years ago. Hand planing can literally be a pain in the neck. I have found that a sharp really good plane is much easier to use. Love my LN's. Yes, Larry, I have a few. :rofl:

There ya go, guys and gals. Another reason to buy really good tools! :thumb: :thumb:

I think I may need to start a poll... how many other people start dressing their lumber before they have a plan/design in place? ;)

nice looking wood, Stu.

Yep, the LN 62 was one of my 1st planes before I knew what I was doing.

I am coming to understand the difference between re-habs, Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen.

After Rob Cosman's class I now own a LN 5 1/2. An sorta know how to sharpen and set it up.

The real deal is the sharpening.

This was 1st experience with my LN 62

IMG_0254.jpg

This is my current group of planes after 7 years.

img_3446.jpg

Last edited:
I have the LN low angle jack as well. It brings a smile to my face every time I use it. :)

I have a badly damaged back and neck from a car wreck 9 years ago. Hand planing can literally be a pain in the neck. I have found that a sharp really good plane is much easier to use. Love my LN's. Yes, Larry, I have a few. :rofl:

There ya go, guys and gals. Another reason to buy really good tools! :thumb: :thumb:

Yep, the pleasure in using good tools just goes on and on!:thumb:

I think I may need to start a poll... how many other people start dressing their lumber before they have a plan/design in place? ;)

nice looking wood, Stu.

That is true Art, but most would design their project and then go buy the wood to build it, based on the design. I have the wood, so I may have to design my project based on the wood I have..... :dunno:

Therefore, it made sense to me to dig into the pile of wood first.

I did get some of that done today, I broke out the Festool TS55 and went to work squaring up boards and cutting out the cracks and voids.............

SN3D2748.jpg

...... that is what I ended up with. The wood on the left is the stack I'll be using to make the bench, the stuff up front on the right is now turning stock, I foresee a bunch of plate like turnings in my future...... :rolleyes:

The stack of stuff on the right rear is to be cut up into pen blanks, I don't know if anyone wants any, but I just hate to throw out wood that I spent a lot of time and sweat getting :D

Tomorrow I hope to have time to surface joint the wood and then put it through the planer so I can really see what I have.

Cheers!

Stu I am following along and enjoying the ride. Like your comments about the woodworkers of old. I guess we all have it easy when you consider we can access tools of the quality of LN and LV.

My bet is the woodworkers of old knew a thing or two about sharpening and hey they all had apprentices to do some of the grunt work too.:)

Stu I am following along and enjoying the ride. Like your comments about the woodworkers of old. I guess we all have it easy when you consider we can access tools of the quality of LN and LV.

My bet is the woodworkers of old knew a thing or two about sharpening and hey they all had apprentices to do some of the grunt work too.:)

Oh for sure, but they all would have done their time as apprentices as well, and a small one man shop, well he'd have to do it all :doh:

Cheers!

How about a little Greene and Greene inspiration?

John, is the first one your work? VERY nice! :thumb:

The second one is too much of a bench............ if that makes sense :dunno:

I got the jointer out from under the SCMS, and set it up to face joint the rough boards.....

SN3D0550.jpg
........... whoops......... need some adjustments here :rolleyes: :D

I adjusted the jointer, as it is the first time I've used the jointer to this new place in the Dungeon, and it needed a bit of tweaking.

SN3D0551.jpg
That is how I use the jointer, a bit of a tight space,but it works just fine.

SN3D0552.jpg

Here are all the boards face jointed, and one edge as well, ready for the thickness planer tomorrow, if I get some time.

All of the boards are at least 1 1/2" thick, and I measured each board, and I came up with about 36 board feet of wood :)

Some of it even has a bit of spalting on it, so I might pick those pieces for the front panels :D

Cheers!

1 1/2" thick, firing up the big bandsaw (big blue?) to resaw especially those spalted boards to get bookmatched pairs? Looking good Stu.

Also for those small flat boards. I haven't done it yet, but have the bowl press, I'm thinking it is a 30 degree cut, cut the ring off, keep making rings from a flat board (on the lathe) and then when completed, they will stack and make a bowl.

Last edited:
1 1/2" thick, firing up the big bandsaw (big blue?) to resaw especially those spalted boards to get bookmatched pairs? Looking good Stu.

Also for those small flat boards. I haven't done it yet, but have the bowl press, I'm thinking it is a 30 degree cut, cut the ring off, keep making rings from a flat board (on the lathe) and then when completed, they will stack and make a bowl.

Certainly could be doing some book matched fronts if I find some nice looking pieces :D

Something occurred to me today, after taking the boards off the jointer, I was struck at how my perception has changed, I used to think that the board, off the jointer was smooth, and only needed a bit of sanding :doh:Now as I look at a board straight off the jointer, I realize how far from really smooth it is, and that it will need some TLC with a sharp hand plane before I'd call it smooth again :thumb: Now true, my jointer is an old one, only two knives, and the speed they spin is not that fast, and even with a nice light cut and a slow feed rate, they are not smooth, not like I know they can be.

Cheers!

yes the first one is mine. It's cherry with purple heart accents. It's a little shorter length wise than a normal blanket chest but it was made for a specific place. I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

I've noticed the same thing about the the smoothness of boards too Stu. You can't compare to a hand planed finish!

OK, I've been fooling with Sketch Up, and this is a very, VERY basic idea of what I have been noodling........

Genkan_bench_2D.jpg
....or something along those lines, nothing fancy.... :dunno:

Something occurred to me today, after taking the boards off the jointer, I was struck at how my perception has changed, I used to think that the board, off the jointer was smooth, and only needed a bit of sanding :doh:Now as I look at a board straight off the jointer, I realize how far from really smooth it is, and that it will need some TLC with a sharp hand plane before I'd call it smooth again :thumb: Cheers!

Stu this thought struck me as something very profound. My wife keeps reminding me its all about the journey.

You caused me to reflect on how my woodworking efforts have changed over a very short time and how much i have gained simply from reading the posts here.

Its great when one reflects on ones progress. What was acceptable yesterday without the knowledge becomes unacceptable today when you have had the benefit of acquiring the knowledge. Of course putting into practice takes skill and practice. Thats a whole nother issue.:);)

How about adding a little more Japanese to your design.
Something like Japanese symbols for Welcome on the front face inlayed. :D That would add a little challenge for a guy of your skill. You making it too easy for you.;)

Following along.:thumb:

How about adding a little more Japanese to your design.
Something like Japanese symbols for Welcome on the front face inlayed. :D That would add a little challenge for a guy of your skill. You making it too easy for you.;)

Following along.:thumb:

The Japanese really don't do the "Symbol" thing. The traditional wood working is all about simplicity. If I wanted to add a "Japanese" flair to it, I think I'd go with some Japanese type of hardware.........

00d5544s1c.jpg

No real need for handles, but the chrysanthemum (G) thing is neat, but that is the image used in the "Imperial" seal here, the Emperor of Japan sits on the "Chrysanthemum Throne" so that is not going to fly here, we are not Japanese Nationalists. :D

00d5520s1.jpg

The "A" crest here is for the harvest, and some of the other accents might go well...?

That Tansu hardware looks very good to me Stu, is it from a japanese catalog?
I've seen some US hardware dealer that sells Tansu hardware at a rather high prices IMHO, but that it looks as if made out of tin, I wonder if the one that sells those ones ship overseas. Could you pass me the link to their web if any?

As per the Genkan bench, I like the approach you've made to it. My only comment would be adding a bit of overhang of the sit on the front, about 60-70mm or 6 inches.
The reason is that as you mentioned that it is used to sit and take off the shoes to get in the house and put them in to leave, it makes that action quite uncomfortable if you are sitting on a place where you can't put your heels a bit beyond the vertical projection of your knee. To avoid that people tend to sit at the edge which helps to put the shoes on and off but it is uncomfortable for your bottom.

Besides it will prevent a bit hitting the doors of the bench with you heels and end having black marks all along its lower line

Obviously is no big deal, but IMHO those little details, specially in an action that you will perform at least 4 times each day can become a real nuissance, at least they do to me.

My two cents:)