Beginning to go into withdrawals.....

Chuck Ellis

with this cold weather ( I know it ain't near like your guys up north, but you gotta realize, I'm a tropical boy..a real wuss about cold weather... I can take 110 degree heat just about any time, but 32 degrees is just too cold for me and it's been down in the teens most days the past week & half...if I had had my druthers, we would have retired to Costa Rica or someplace on the equator.... but I got out voted one to one. :rofl:)
and my shop ain't heated.. I have a little heater, but don't think it will bring the temp up enough.. plus my lathe slipped a "C" clamp that let my Reeves pulleys spread and one of them is jammed against the housing inside the head stock. It's too cold for me to be working on cold iron.

You want a thrill, try turning a 12" bowl blank that's slightly out of balance at 450 and suddenly have it jump to about 1100 +.... when that clamp slipped and the pulley spread, I had an out of balance propeller whirling in my face for a few seconds before I could reach the switch. :eek:

I had just spent about 2 hours changing the belt and had it all re-assembled and working great (I thought) when this happened... I was so disgusted I just left it, then the weather changed and I haven't been back to work on it... I like all you guys, but I'd rather be turning.. :D:D

with this cold weather ( I know it ain't near like your guys up north, but you gotta realize, I'm a tropical boy..a real wuss about cold weather... I can take 110 degree heat just about any time, but 32 degrees is just too cold for me and it's been down in the teens most days the past week & half...if I had had my druthers, we would have retired to Costa Rica or someplace on the equator.... but I got out voted one to one. :rofl:)

+1 on the vote... ;)

As for the cold... Sorry Chuck, but I'm wanting a few days of -10 (or more) with no snow so I can get that backyard rink finished! We are lucky to get 2 months of use out of it, and the time is ticking away.

With young kids in the house, having outdoor play/activity options for them is very important!

...art

Chuck same here...I haven't turned since the week before christmas we've had over 30" of snow since then and the temp has only reached the teens a few days. Tomorrow high is forcasted at -1!! :eek:

I've gone out and started to do something and then noticed my hands were blue or my feet were frozen, so I just go back in :eek:...I did get a cutting board glued up in the basement last week, but nothing else. They say we should hit 20 degrees here on sunday...I will be turning!! :thumb:

All together boys and girls........let's say "cabin fever"!
I have it today. Wife is traveling with friends. Good news is she went way-way south to Padre Island and it is COLD there also. :rofl:
Enneyhow....my shop is frigid, no work in there currently. I'm in house, no real reason to go to town right now. TV is boring, can't get mind right to read. And worse, can't focus on writing. So, here I am e-chatting with a bunch of other bored woodworkers/turners. ;)
I love Arkansas. Fifty weeks out of fifty-two.

Chuck. I no what ya mean about the cold. I've been working out in it all week. It has gotten up in the 20's but as theres no place to go to get warm, we just grin and bear it.(ya right we wine and cry):rofl:. As far as the shop the lathe room is insulated and i have a prutty good heater in there, so at least i can work in there.:D Can't work in the rest of the shop to long as that's not insulated or heated.
Steve

Shushhh Don! Shushh! My parents are just north of you and I hear that from them every few days. :)

Chuck I hear ya. I had to change a fuel filter in the tahoe the other day in 15 degree weather. Wasn't too bad until the cold gas started running off my hands and down the sleeve of my coat. After 3 trips to the sink to warm up my hands I finally finished the job.

Was only 8 degrees this a.m., probably up to ten by now. :eek:
Shop is incredibly cold. I was just in there and shivered sumptin' awful after just a minute. Wife gone for another week, at least arguing would break the boredom. ;)
Went to town yesterday just to get out. Risky, back roads are still pretty icy. This is 'up nawth' weather and I do wish y'all had kept it there.

all i can say, is butch up chuck, warm weather is just around the corner!:thumb: the 7 day forcast for around here has us in the upper 20's to 30 by next tuesday.:D

Yeah, I know... another week or so it'll be back to normal mid to high 40's or low 50's ... You guys up north that have the 4 season, June, July, August and Winter have my sympathy...
we really are in a part of TN that weather will kinda flow around us... it's a little unusual for it to get this cold here...
and I know this is probably summer weather for some of you guys.. I just would rather go barefoot, shorts and a tank top... and at my age I should forget the shorts and tank top.