New Lee Valley Veritas Jack Plane

Bruce Moffitt

My better half bought me a Veritas No. 4 smoothing plane for xmas. But after a long discussion with a Lee Valley staff member I decided to return it and bought a 15" Veritas low angle Jack plane and an extra 50° blade. This is my first plane rightly or wrongly and I can hardley wait to get the blade sharpened and learn how to use it.

you got a good lady there bruce ,but i am sure you already knew that:):thumb::thumb: but after you get that new plane running smoothly, let us know what you think of it and show us some curlys the right way:):D:thumb::thumb:

Bruce, I have the American cousin to that plane, the Lie-Nielsen #62 low angle jack, and I just finished using it, it sure is one sweet plane, and very versatile, I'm sure the Veritas plane will be the same, enjoy!

You are right Larry she is a very special Lady and I don't know what I would do without her.
I had a chance to use the new plane for the first time yesterday. I probably wasn't using it the way I should but, managed to flatten one side of some really rough burly ash planks that will soon be a table top. I was surprised at how easy it was to flatten the planks. I was advised to purchase a 50 degree blade for the realy twisty grain and it worked very very well. It sure was nice to work without the big noise (other than me puffing that is:rofl:)
The plane really worked very well and I realize I need to build myself a proper bench where I can clamp things down and one that doesn't bounce around. (so many projects and not enough time:dunno:)
Don, I must admit I'm not totally converted to the dark side yet (I used the power planner to flatten the boards and reduce the thickness after I got one side flat with the hand plane.)
I'm told that with a well sharpened iron I should be able to roll of curly shavings in the rage of 1/2 a thousandth with this plane.
I'm currently building a 40" square coffee table for my daughter and I expect that the first big test using the new jack will be flattening the top and jointing the edges and ends.
I also bought a book written by Christopher Schwartz called hand plane Essentials. Hopefully it will help me learn how to setup and use my plane the way it should be done. (but as you see I couldn't wait, had to use the plane before I finished the book)
Will post some pics when I have some nice long curly shavings to show you.

bruce that is avery good book, i have browesd threw it and am going to try and read it cover to cover..he's a good writer and its not all polished up its meat and potatoes kind of stuff in there..