So how do I do this?

Kevin Reid

I have a hall closet that is really only a half closet since the bottom of it is taken up by the stairs to the basement. I would like to use the space for storing appliances, as a pantry and for storing assorted pots and pans. My plan is to build an appliance garage with a full length pull out drawer for storing the appliances. On top of the appliance garage will be a 24" diameter round tray on a lazy susan to use as the pantry. My problem comes with storing the pots and pans. I would like to build a circular pot hanging system that will rotate from the ceiling. I need it to rotate because the closet is quite deep. Any ideas on how I can build the pot hanger so it can be rotated?

Sounds like mabe some sort of chain and sprocket arrangement? Some custom closet installation use these for storing clothes on hangers in deep closets.

You could... build an upside-down pedestal similar to the one on a pedestal table. That'd be your central hanger. It'd be something like 4" diameter maximum. On its bottom would be a fixed platform maybe 12" diameter. On the topside of the platform, surrounding the platform, you'd mount an ordinary lazy susan bearing (about 4" ID), which would carry a doughnut-shaped platform to which you'd attach pot hooks.

The doughnut-shaped platform would serve not only as a rotating pot hanger, its topside could be used for additional rotating storage.

One make sure that there is some thing solid in the ceiling to secure to that will also handle the weight of what ever you build and the pans.
The next thing make sure that what ever you use for a pivot is rated for suspending weight. Most lazy susan bearings are for having weight set on them and are not meant to suspend weight with them.
Some thing along this line would do the trick. http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...ing-with-ball-bearing-swivel-13706-57112.html
This one is rated for way more than you would need :thumb:
This would allow you to make a disk that fit your space and suspend it by attaching multiple hooks to the disk and bring them up to one point on the ceiling.
Or you could just buy some thing like this http://kitchen-bath-studio.com/dutch_crown.htm

Rennie/Don/Tom/Chuck

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I will have to give up my membership in the procrastinators society and actually build it. I can always give up my membership later.

Mornin' Kevin.

There are metal, ball bearinged, set ups used for lazy susans, that are pretty strong. I know Woodcraft sells them (page 124 in January 2010 catalog) and am sure other wood stores do to.

Bruce

Use a bicycle wheel, with threaded rod for the axle.

Use a tee nut and a jam nut to hang the wheel fron the ceiling, and hang the pots from the wheel's rim.