box with pedestal

trying something a little different.Was looking at Neal Addys web page and thought i'd try one of his boxes. I no it don't compare to his, but the only way i'll get better is to play.:rofl: the box is 4 1/4 x5 3/4. wood is spalted pecan with walnut final and base.Thanks Larry for the walnut.:)
All comments welcome as always.
Steve

Attachments

• 014 [800x600].JPG
    014 [800x600].JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 018 [800x600].JPG
    018 [800x600].JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
Very nice, Steve. :thumb: You picked a good guy to get inspired by, too. ;) The ability to do Neil's level of forms and finials is a good target to shoot for...I know I'm not there yet. I can see a couple little tweaks on this one that might improve it, but I'll bet you've already spotted what you'd do differently on the next one. It's good to see you pushing your boundaries and trying different (and harder) pieces.

Great looking piece Stephen. Really well done.
Thanks

Very nice, Steve. :thumb: You picked a good guy to get inspired by, too. ;) The ability to do Neil's level of forms and finials is a good target to shoot for...I know I'm not there yet. I can see a couple little tweaks on this one that might improve it, but I'll bet you've already spotted what you'd do differently on the next one. It's good to see you pushing your boundaries and trying different (and harder) pieces.
yep i can see a number of things i'll be doing next time. I thought for a first try it turned out ok. one thing i'm gonna have to do is buy or make me some smaller tools, as all i have is full size stuff.I did make a bent shaft out of a screw driver to put into a termight shaft that i have.Was having a hard time reaching up under the opening. I must say it worked better than i thought. Is it safe to use the screw driver and reshape them? It seems like a good way to make small tools.:dunno: I have a large collection of old stuff so that's what i was thinking.

If you want to get really small with your tools I use masonry nails, Allen keys and for really tiny work dental picks. Most of what you have done already on this one can be done with a skew ( finial & leg) using the long and the short corner. If you find irt catches when you use it grind it so that the edge is curved along it's length instead of the conventional flat. Gives you better control and access to small beads and coves

Pete

Steve, that is another beauty!!! Is it top heavy? I know they aren't for daily use, but if bumped the slightest would it fall over? I have never read anything on this type of turning, is there a preferred/suggested dimension of the base circle compared to the diameter of the box so it stays in the upright position? It is another amazing piece. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

If you want to get really small with your tools I use masonry nails, Allen keys and for really tiny work dental picks. Most of what you have done already on this one can be done with a skew ( finial & leg) using the long and the short corner. If you find irt catches when you use it grind it so that the edge is curved along it's length instead of the conventional flat. Gives you better control and access to small beads and coves

Pete
Pete thanks for the tips. Do you make some kind of a handle for them, or do you use one of the shafts with a hole and set screws, like the termite has?

Steve, that is another beauty!!! Is it top heavy? I know they aren't for daily use, but if bumped the slightest would it fall over? I have never read anything on this type of turning, is there a preferred/suggested dimension of the base circle compared to the diameter of the box so it stays in the upright position? It is another amazing piece. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Jonathan thanks. not sure as never read any thing on them ether. I just look at pics and maybe take a tape and determin the aprox scale and go from there. BTW that's the way i build every thing i do, flat or round. The only time i use plains is if i'm building a house.:) O and it don't seem to be top heavy.

I just turn a handle for them. It doesn't need a ferrule as it's being used for small work so there's little pressure on it. The dental picks over here are double ended so you get two for the price of one. They are really useful for captive rings on things like crochet hooks and bobbins or even thin finials like yours.

pete

I just turn a handle for them. It doesn't need a ferrule as it's being used for small work so there's little pressure on it. The dental picks over here are double ended so you get two for the price of one. They are really useful for captive rings on things like crochet hooks and bobbins or even thin finials like yours.

pete

Pete thanks for the tips.As i have some dental picks some where i'll have to dig them out and give them a try.:)

Stephen,
That a fabulous piece... I have had the pleasure of a big piece of pecan yet... it's pretty hard to come by in my neighborhood... I've done a box with a finial, but haven't tried a pedastal yet... have to try one soon...