Projects Under Way

Greetings All! I'm new here and have not gotten around to going into the Introductions Forum, but here I am all the same.

So who out there has a project on the lathe and in the works? I have 3 in different stages of progress and several more that I am thinking of doing. I just wanted to post this up here and let you see how it is going. Anyone else want to show what they are working on?

This is going to be a tip jar for my sister in law. She just started a new job and I wanted to do something special for her. It's Sycamore from a tree that was cut down several months ago. I happened to see the tree coming down and SCREEEEEECH! BATMAN TURN! as my wife calls it (doesn't everyone in Albuquerque drive that way after all??) No, not really, but I did get over to the parking lot "safely" and talk the tree service guy into giving me a huge portion of the tree. Took it home and sealed the ends with latex paint (which I was told would work as well as green wood sealer, IT DOESN'T) and stacked it to dry naturally. I noticed cracking a month or so ago, and decided to rough turn some of it and put the pieces into a bags with shavings, they still cracked. So the stripe of Turquoise you see is in a crack that formed horizontally and runs about 3/8 of the way around it. This particular piece is crotchwood which might account for the way it cracked. It just got a bath in thin CA glue to try stopping the cracking. I'll keep you all posted with pictures as things progress, even if it doesn't work out it's still good practice since this is just my 3rd HF ever.

Thanks all

Mike

Attachments

• Rhonstipjar 005.jpg
    Rhonstipjar 005.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 41
Nothing on the lathe for me at this moment. Seems liek I just can't find time to get onthe lathe. Doing some flatwork for the neighborhood association though.

Howdy Mike, and welcome to the forums. Man, we're getting quite a number of Duke City folks here. (I'm a former Northeast Heights boy myself, but I'm been in SoCal for the past 15 years or so.) If you did the Batman turn without turn signals, then you do indeeed qualify as an Albuquerque driver. :D I can honestly say the typical drivers on the Los Angeles freeways are more cooperative and willing to let you into traffic than most ABQ freeway drivers. :rolleyes: ;)

As far as lathe projects, let's see...I've got one small hollow form soaking in DNA, three or four bowls drying post-DNA, and a decent pile of various turning blanks waiting to be chewed up with my new hollowing rig. I also stay pretty busy with flatwork orders, but the fun is definitely in the round stuff for me these days.

I don't have anything on the lathe and I don't have anything in a bath (?) and I don't have anything planned for the lathe.

I don't even have a lathe.

I just wanted to post.

:D :D :D

Welcome Michael. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome, No Bat-turns here anymore... SWMBO has got keener eyes than me and after several previous "Search and Rescue" driving excursions, she simply says "NO!" I then know to start looking as there is obviously a log on the horizon. I Whine and plead, Sometimes she allows a stop to investigate. Usually I go back with my truck and save that wooden beast from a fire or, worse yet, rot.

Sycamore takes a long time to dry down to turning stages, no wonder it checked, And including the pith and crotch , although interesting effect, is risky. I reciently compleated a small box almost exactly like yours, Crotch, pith, incursions, checks, color, shape, and all. Only difference is the lid, are you doing a lid?

Don't want to steal your post but here is mine (close to your same box)

P1000752.jpg

Thanks for the post and picture, keep them coming

Hi Bill, no problem on "stealing my post", I was hoping other folks would throw some pic's out here. That's a great looking piece there. Thanks for showing it to us.

I was actually sort of hoping to see some work in progress pic's. I believe that you can really appreciate the beauty and art of a piece by seeing it go together. Just my opinion, but there it is.

This one won't get a lid, but I did a Bethlehem Olive Wood (BOW) "pot" or "hollow form" or whatever it is called and then got to screwin' around and made a lid with a finial....OK, it's was VERY late at night (my wife works nights so I stay up and play). Here are a couple of pic's of it. The lid is from sycamore and the finial is myrtle. My first lid and finial, by the way.

Mike

Attachments

• BOW bowl no lid FWW.jpg
    BOW bowl no lid FWW.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BOW bowl with lid FWW.jpg
    BOW bowl with lid FWW.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Day Two for the tip jar

OK, here it is, second day and hollowing and scraping are done and it's going to get sanded....right after I soak my herniated disc in the hot tub.:D

Attachments

• tipjar2ndday 001FWW.jpg
    tipjar2ndday 001FWW.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 8
  • tipjar2ndday 007FWW.jpg
    tipjar2ndday 007FWW.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • tipjar2ndday 011FWW.jpg
    tipjar2ndday 011FWW.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13