Site Loading Speed Sloooooooooow??????

Norman Hitt

Is anyone else having an EXTREME slowdown when connecting to this site, or loading anything on it? I'm on dialup, and for the last three days or so, it has been taking 3 to 4 times longer to get anything to load on this site. Pictures take FOREVER to come up, and when clicking to a new thread, or to a different section of the forum the load time has been about 3 times longer than before, (and sometimes MUCH longer than that), and even when clicking on the the BACK icon, it still takes about 3 times longer to come up than before. I have not had this trouble with any other site, so I'm wondering if something on this site has changed, or is it some kind of problem with my ISP, or MY computer. I'm totally baffled.:huh: :dunno:

Am I the only one having this problem? It is so slow, that I finally get discouraged after looking at only a few posts and give up. Does anyone have any explanations or suggestions?:dunno:

I would clear cash and history, then restart your browser. Many times that will speed it up.

I have not noticed any speed difference here now, but I have seen it on sites the past, even on High Speed DSL. I clear, restart my browser at least once a week.

Last edited:
I do the following on a daily basis to keep my speed up while on the internet...and to keep Mrs Johnson from keeping track of what I am looking up :) Personally I suspect you are having spyware problems on your computer. In any case this is what I do...

Under Internet Options in the control panel I delete:

All cookies
Temparary Internet Files
History

Under Administration Tools in the control Panle I go to Event Viewer in the and delete the following four items and click on no when they ask me if I want to save copies of these files:

Application
Security
System
Internet Explorer

I then go to my McAfee Firewall and delete all internet history there (yes this is another spot that has your internet history if you use this type of firewall)

I then click on run under the start menu and type in recent and then delate all files and pictures there

Finally I run the latest version of Spybot (a free spyware protection program) at least once a week. Personally I suspect that spyware is your problem.

Now that will keep your internet from slowing down, but to keep your computer speed up, you have to defrag your computer every now and then too. I try to do that once a month. So far this four year old computer is pretty fast. Good luck.

Thanks Guys, (and yes, I'm still running slow), and I don't think it's spyware, as I have been running Spybot at least once Daily for over a year now . The confusing thing is that it is only slow on this forum, but no change on any other forum or site that I have noticed yet. I probably am overdue for a defrag though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so I guess I'll start the process of elimination with the suggestions.

Log Out of this site...(this will clear the site "cookie"), close your browser and then open again. You will have to Log In again, but sometimes this will clean up a "glitch" that has been know to happen on forums.

Worth a try.

It has been popping along just fine for me.

For example, I click the "New Posts" link and it says it searched and retrieved the list in 0.02 seconds.........:dunno:

I've also noticed this site slows down on occasion. Either last Saturday or Sunday night it was intolerably slow. All other web sites (and other vBulletin forums) were loading just fine at the time. Which makes me think it was the host or a server between me and the host. Last night, FWF was again running as fast as usual.