Hot melt Glue

I was thinking the same thing.

On the grip thing, as I get more confident about my tool presentation, I'm finding that if I loosen my grip a bit I tend to have better control. Not sloppy loose, but I avoid a tight death grip on either the handle or over the tool rest. I keep the tool rest hand fairly firmly planted, but try to hold the handle with just my fingertips as much as possible. About like a pool cue.

Another thing in my case, a death grip on the tools and my hands won't last all day for turning... they'll start to cramp and lock up on me and I'll have to stop for a while.

Glue Types

Stu, I think you bring up a good point. I haven't yet tried to use hot glue, but I do know there are high temp and low temp hot glue sticks. I am thinking the high temp has a better hold, but I am not sure on that.

There are some other kinds of "gun glues" that are supposed to have very good holding power. Don't know much about it, but this one came to mind.

HiPURformer Glue

Hutch

I've used that hipurformer glue before. Its a polyurethane hot melt. I've glued crown moulding back together that I had to cut in half to fit in an elevator. Could lift the piece of crown by one end less than 2 minutes after gluing. You wouldn't have no problem turning with that.

I prefer to use yellow glue to attach a glue block but; a couple of times I had a nice piece of wood that was barely big enough for what I wanted and it did not have a surface flat enough for yellow glue.

I warmed up my faceplate enough to keep the hot glue hot and attached it to the wood with hot glue. Once the faceplate cooled, it was very strong. This method is too much trouble to use all of the time but it don't be afraid to try it for those odd circumstances.