General International Lathe 25-600

For some reason your link was broken, Rich. Here's what I think you were pointing to...

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-600.html

Although that's a pretty good price, and it's a decent lathe, I think it does have some shortcomings. In addition to having a pretty fast low-end speed, the Reeves drive can be a bit of a maintenance chore. (Seems nobody makes 'em like they used to in the old days, when a Reeves drive was more reliable.) I also believe that model has a 1" spindle that's enlarged at the end to accommodate 1 1/4" threads. I think most of the competing lathes have a true 1 1/4" spindle. I have known one or two guys who had that lathe and been happy with it, though.

I'd have to agree with Bart...the new Griz looks pretty good on paper in that relative price range.

I passed on the General. Thanks for the information.

I have been considering the Grizzly 0698 lathe. I am told that it is similar to the Laguna and the Busy Bee. I like the Jet 1642, but the Grizzly is very close to the same, only bigger capacity. I do know of someone on the AAW forum that ordered one but wont receive it until the end of the month. Hopefully, this person will have some feedback before I have to decide. I have my gun sold, but the exchange wont be made for a couple of weeks.

If I buy the Grizzly, I will be able to afford quite a few goodies, but I won't buy them until I see a need. The only difference I see is there is no spindle lock on the head of the Grizzly and the Jet has an extention on the head stock shaft out the back of the headstock that can be handy. I dont know about the quality difference. I would really like to see it in person before I have to decide.

At Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay, I saw a ShopFox and a Jet 1442 side by side. There is not comparison. The Jet has such a much wider and thicker bed, the height is more ergonomical and the weight difference is huge. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Steve Schlumpf spent a couple of hours with me at his place yesterday discussing his Jet 1642 - 2 hp. I like the lathe. He has a real nice shop and set-up. He is very knowledgeable. You should see some of his work. He makes hollow forms and bowls.

Last edited: