A little photo show for Allen......some photos not

My ILs had tried 6 different times to go to Glacier National Park while they were enroute to or from visiting us. Every year the "Going to the Sun Highway" and Logan Pass was still closed due to snow.

Then in 1999 they arrived on the 3rd of July. We had called the Park the day before and the road had just opened. We had made reservations early that year at the older, cheaper hotel that sits at IIRC the west end of Lake McDonald. It was probably built in the 1930's but has been kept up. The accommadations are modest but comfortable and relatively reasonable. So 4th of July morning we loaded up our car. My FIL really raised an eyebrow and though an extremely quiet man, he verbally questioned us putting winter coats in the car for us and them...it was the 4th of July afterall....and in the 80's here.

We departed and arrived at the park early that evening after a short stop in Troy MT where we were stopped until the 4 th of July parade was over.

The next morning...into the canvas topped (rolled back by popular demand) White tour buses again from the 1930's we loaded and the trip began. At the time I was still smoking. In the morning WHITEOUT conditions...on the pass and the view point at the summit of Logan Pass. In the one photo that is me I'm 6'1" in my winter mountain parka having a cigarette after fighting the wind for 10 minutes trying to light it with my Zippo. That afternoon at the same place.....short sleeve shirts and shorts were the attire.......

I give you Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park

lm1.jpg

the famous White touring buses

lm2.jpg

lm3.jpg

Wild goose island on St. Maries Lake

lm5.jpg

lm6.jpg

lm7.jpg

lm8.jpg

lm9.jpg

On July 5th, they still had a bit of snow.....

lm4.jpg

Last edited:
The last of the NZ photos....flora and fauna.....in a park near our hotel in Auckland....that afternoon we boarded a plane.....

The last photo....the parking lot at the Super 8 near the Spokane Airport when we arrived back.....one of those snowbound cars is ours.....
After 5 star hotels...concierge service in NZ...the Super 8 will never be the same!:eek:

nyd1.JPG

nyd2.JPG

nyd3.JPG

nyd4.JPG

nyd5.JPG

nyd6.JPG

nyd7.JPG

nyd8.JPG

nyd9.JPG

nyd10.JPG