Haiti earthquake

Frank Fusco

I don't think this is political or religious. Mods may zap if you disagree.

From a news report on the Haiti earthquake.
"For this to be the deadliest quake on record, the death toll will have to top the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed more than 227,000 and a 1976 earthquake in China that killed 255,000, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

While nobody knows the death toll in Haiti, a leading senator, Youri Latortue, told The Associated Press that as many as 500,000 could be dead."

For those so inclined, pray for the injured, families of the dead and welfare for all affected.

Personally, I cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a half million dead in one fell swoop.

A seminary colleague was one of those killed. Ben Larson, 25, a senior at Wartburg Theological Seminary, was there with 3 other Wartburg students teaching local church leaders. Their stay was just for the month of January. We call that J-term. It is an opportunity for a special ministry experience and three of them are part of the required curriculum.

Ben was there with his wife and cousin, also seminarians, along with a annother classmate there with her church group doing humanitarian work. The State Department is working to get them back home, as regular travel is interrupted.

I am stunned, as is my whole seminary community. We knew Ben as a bright young man, with a hugely generous heart, and as a talented musician. Wartburg is a very small seminary. The students are very close, a tight community, as are the alumni.

I echo Franks comments. There is much to pray for in these very trying days. The destruction reaches worldwide in its impact. If it is in your heart, a few bucks to any humanitarian organization working to help Haiti would very much appreciated. Mine will go to Lutheran World Relief. Thanks for reading and sharing some of the pain.

Good on you Frank for posting this. I dont think we as woodworkers can ignore the goings on around us and act like all is well in the world when such a human tragedy unfolds before our eyes.

Its real hard to watch and feel so helpless when one is far away and without the resources to make an impact.

I personally have found it quiet moving to see the utter destruction and then to see the poor people totally running around in chaos.

Makes one very thankfull for ones own blessings. Times like this one realizes just how much you have when you have civil society and structures in place that can function in emergency.

It also shows you which nations are man enough to step up and be counted.:thumb:

Hopefully the U.S. will now recognize the nightmare that is the Haitian government. If anything, it's worse than Iraq under Saddam. At least there you weren't as likely to starve to death.

Carol, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Joseph I have to disagree with you - Haitian people have made great strides to clean up their government in the last couple of years... They will find a stable government - hopefully in the near future.

Improvements in all aspect of life for them and then this terrible earthquake! I cry for them and pray for their help.

I also have donated to the Haitian relief fund via Episcopal Relief and Development org.

Last edited:
A seminary colleague was one of those killed. Ben Larson, 25, a senior at Wartburg Theological Seminary, was there with 3 other Wartburg students teaching local church leaders. Their stay was just for the month of January. We call that J-term. It is an opportunity for a special ministry experience and three of them are part of the required curriculum.

Ben was there with his wife and cousin, also seminarians, along with a annother classmate there with her church group doing humanitarian work. The State Department is working to get them back home, as regular travel is interrupted.

I am stunned, as is my whole seminary community. We knew Ben as a bright young man, with a hugely generous heart, and as a talented musician. Wartburg is a very small seminary. The students are very close, a tight community, as are the alumni.

I echo Franks comments. There is much to pray for in these very trying days. The destruction reaches worldwide in its impact. If it is in your heart, a few bucks to any humanitarian organization working to help Haiti would very much appreciated. Mine will go to Lutheran World Relief. Thanks for reading and sharing some of the pain.

Amen....

Joseph I have to disagree with you - Haitian people have made great strides to clean up their government in the last couple of years... They will find a stable government - hopefully in the near future.

I really hope so. With all the relief aid coming into the country, I'm worried someone will try and take advantage of it Kim-Jong Il style. :(

You may have one too many zeros. Most of the estimates I've seen are for 50,000 deaths. There's one published today by Reuters that is from 50,000 to 100,000.

Any deaths are too many but I don't think the official estimates are 500,000 deaths.

Mike

[I think the estimates being given are not for just those killed in the immediate time of the earthquake, but also includes those who will die over the upcoming days and weeks from injuries, disease, malnutrition, and crime.]

Last edited:
Mike beat me to it. 50 to 100 thousand is still catastrophic, but not as bad as half a million.

The whole thing is tragic on so many different levels.

You may have one too many zeros. Most of the estimates I've seen are for 50,000 deaths. There's one published today by Reuters that is from 50,000 to 100,000.

Any deaths are too many but I don't think the official estimates are 500,000 deaths.

Mike

[I think the estimates being given are not for just those killed in the immediate time of the earthquake, but also includes those who will die over the upcoming days and weeks from injuries, disease, malnutrition, and crime.]

Hope not half a million. I correctly repeated an AP report that was on Yahoo.

Very sadly I expect the death toll to rise quite a bit. There are still many people trapped under buildings that will not be rescued in time.

Our church has supported an orphanage down there for a number of years. recently we paid for a new building to house children. I haven't yet heard of what has happened to them.

I am very interested in the proposed project to airlift orphaned/abandoned children out of Haiti to the US and elsewhere. I don't know the scope of the project yet - it is just being discussed now, I would support the general principle whole heartedly. Certainly my own experience with refugees was positive. Most of the refugees I know have become productive US citizens. It was a privelage to serve them. I have even talked to the wife about taking some extra kids on, even though we are somewhat crowded with the dozen we have. After all, whats one or 2 more? I just breaks my heart to see the suffering down there.

Got some sad news this weekend. 150 of the orphans from the orphanage we support perished in the quake. One of my friends did comment that they are probably very happily in the arms of our Savior. It is a good thing to realize they will no longer have to go hungry or feel abandoned. Sister Luvena survived although her sister died along with 200+ orphans at another orphanage. It is too early to tell where we go from here. I'm sure there will be great need for a long time.

Got some sad news this weekend. 150 of the orphans from the orphanage we support perished in the quake. One of my friends did comment that they are probably very happily in the arms of our Savior. It is a good thing to realize they will no longer have to go hungry or feel abandoned. Sister Luvena survived although her sister died along with 200+ orphans at another orphanage. It is too early to tell where we go from here. I'm sure there will be great need for a long time.

Too tragic for my words to express properly.

About 1200 American troops arrived yesterday. An officer in charge said their job was like trying to "organize hell".
The good news is that the supplies that have arrived, today will begin "streaming" into areas where they are most needed.
The death count is now expected to be 150,000 to 200,000, not the half million some estimated at the beginning.