Perfect Fit

Les Elm

Half Twist Titanium Gold Ballpoint / Triangle Design Center Band and Pacific Madrone (Arbutus menziesii ).
Finished with 6 coats of Minwax Clear Satin Polyurethane.
As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Les

goldperfectfitwithpacif.jpg

goldperfectfitandpacifi.jpg

goldperfectfitpacificma.jpg

Very nice. :thumb: The Perfect Fit is my favorite twist pen kit. Pretty easy to make, and you end up with a nice, substantial pen.

I'm thinking the pen kit companies should hire you to do the sample pens for their catalogs. Your pens, choice of kit, finish, blank, and the quality of the photos are much better than most of the catalogs...

I've never really looked at that kit before, but it really looks like a nice compromise between the european and the cigar. Smaller than a cigar, but a nicer fit and finish than the typical euro...

And of course, very nicely executed... :thumb: :thumb:

I've never noticed that pen kit, probably thought it was a version or another company's Euro knockoff. What actually is the difference between them?

Jonathan,

If you compare the two photos there is quite a difference in style between the Perfect Fit and The Round Top 7mm European.

The first photo is a RT 7mm European with Claro Walnut while the second photo is a Perfect Fit with Maple Burl.

Les

eurochromewithclarowaln.jpg

mapleburlperfectfitgoldos7.jpg

Not only do you turn about the best pens I have ever seen, but you sure have that photography thing down pat. If you are ever in the mood, I sure would like to hear how you do the photography. I think I am qualified for membership in the worlds worst photographer club.

Beautiful work, on the lathe and behind the camera. I really appreciate you showing us these pens. You are an inspiration.

Bob

Not only do you turn about the best pens I have ever seen, but you sure have that photography thing down pat. If you are ever in the mood, I sure would like to hear how you do the photography. I think I am qualified for membership in the worlds worst photographer club.

Beautiful work, on the lathe and behind the camera. I really appreciate you showing us these pens. You are an inspiration.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have attached a PDF on how I take my photos.

Les

Attachments

• Pen Photo Set Up.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
I had either missed or forgotten this tut.
Very good.
I am particularly impressed with how simple your technique is.
Nuttin' fancy but it works. :thumb:
For about a year, I have been using a photo tent. These originally cost about $100.00, way more than they are worth. I bought mine at some, now forgotten where, clearance for $7.00.
The lights are next to wuthless but I still use them. The background cloth flips from grey to blue. A table top tripod is included and the whole deal closes up into a neat carrying case. I believe I would be willing to pay as much as $15.00 for the outfit, if I had to.
Forgive the clutter in the background of the pic. My so-called 'office' is in a basement room next to the furnace and water heater. I call it my "Raymond office" in honor of the TV show.
I leave the tent set-up on the top of a bookshelf.
I'll move the lights around to best eliminate shadow and reflection. Most of the time I'll take a couple shots. Some without flash and some with then pick the best. I usually PhotoShop minimally.
Sometimes I'll take the item to be photographed outside and lay on leaves or prop against a rock. Then I'll use my body to shade from harsh sun and eliminate strong shadows and reflections. Some purists on the penturning forums object to this kind of set-up claiming the rocks or leaves distract from the subject, that being the pen. To which, I respond with comments not permitted on FW. ;)
Lotsa ways of doing it. Whatever works, works.

Attachments

• photo tent.jpg
    photo tent.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
  • pen on rocks.jpg
    pen on rocks.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5