Anyone had their shop inspected by Fire Marshal? ( Updated with results of inspection

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Even as a mod not sure where to put this so ?? here goes.

Some of you know my issues with the NN. Well it aint stopped. Now the town called me and they want the fire marshal to visit my shop and give it the once over.

I have all the goodies you can imagine for fire protection

• Extinuishers
  • Smoke alarm connected to the home ones and it is powered and battery backed up.
  • Dont have dust lying around.
  • Have not even got my dust collector hooked up yet so that cannot be looked at as an issue.
  • Heat is provided by locally made insurance approved sealed natural gas radiant heater on thermostat.
  • Walls are covered by two layers of 5/8 drywall so fire rated i would say.
Anyone had experience with this kind of inspection. I know codes will be different i am looking at belts and braces. NN has called every town councillor in the book and evey institution you can think of. Now town says they ready to slap an ignore on provided fire marshal gives it the thumbs up.

My initial approach is to refuse inspection, but i aint got nothing to hide.

Open to all and any ideas to get a clean bill of health.

I am beginning to think real bad thoughts about this NN. Getting real mad :mad:but that dont achieve anything.

Town guys are pretty nice guys they just have a job to do so i cannot blame them.

Any thoughts and help appreciated as long as it dont involve trying to reason with NN.

Last edited:
First off, I have missed the prior problems thread(s).
With that said, what is the reason for the inspection?? Are you a business or is the shop personal? If it is personal, I dont see why they would even bother with inspection. If it is business, that is a different story and I dont see how you can refuse. However, Canadian law may be much different that here. Heck, it can even be city/township/province specific for all I know.

But if the inspection will make the problem go away, I say go for it and be done with it.

my 2 cents

Rob,
It sounds as if you've got all your bases covered. While my shop's never been inspected I have been through some inspections on other buildings. Just be friendly with the fire inspector show him anything he wants to see and I'm sure everything will be OK.

Oof, that's one seriously warped individual you have there. I still don't understand the problem he has with your hobby. Sounds like NN needs to get a different hobby than hasseling you...

You might just want to check up on what sorts of things the Fire Marshall might want to check on.

Probably one of the biggest things would be to have some kind of a metal locker for storage of finishing materials and solvents, and maybe a metal canister for storage of oily rags...?

If they want to hit you for something they can but most of the Marshal are nice guys . All my bases are covered but I get a stick at least once every 10 years. My last stick was for a fire proof cabinet for the 55 gal drum of Lacquer thinner. Before it sat out for years and he just walked past it.

The only other possible things I can think of to check are:
1. electrical issues (no overloaded circuits, extension cord issues, etc)
2. chemical issues (things like paint, DNA, etc in a metal cabinet)

I think the only thing that i have not dealt with is the storage of chemicals. Not that i have tons of stuff but what i have is stored in a wood cupboard. Guess i have to find myself a metal cuboard maybe an old filing cabinet will do and put the thinners and the like in there. Hey how come Home depot has gallons of this stuff just on the shelf. ???? I mean a person could drop a cigarette right next to the stuff and it could burn through the plastic jugs and present a far greater hazard than my little pint worth.
Brent I think you raised an issue i have not thought of dealing with to an adequate manner. Thanks. Now you know how lucky you are to have the space and the kids on your front lawn. Whatever you got to do to keep it that way i would do it cause you dont wanna live like we do on top of each other.:)

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. You prompts reminded me i got a friend that has a brother who is a captain in the adjacent towns fire dept. Gonna call him for suggestions and fix anything he says before i get the town to follow through on the inspection.:thumb::D

Just for the record this is my hobby shop no business. Hey at the rate i take to do something i would be starving and dead by now if i relied on it for an income.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was going to suggest the metal storage cabinet for flammables, and perhaps a metal can for rags you've used for such. Might just move that stuff to the house for the inspection to be safe if you can't get a cabinet prior.

When it's over, you should thank that NN for looking out for your safety. :D

Invite the Fire Marshall with open arms...Once they've issued the "ignore" order, have your lawyer write the NN a letter, politely requesting that they stop the harrassment. That's the first letter.......The second letter is for the threat of lawsuit.

This, times 100.
yes.gif

Enough is enough, and this guy is seriously starting to stomp on YOUR rights.

rob,

don't forget that fire marshall's also look at exits in case of a fire. he may look for clearance in walkways and such that lead to these exits. but as long as stuff isn't stationary (bolted down) that shouldn't be a big issue since you can move it. i am not sure they would look for this in a shop but i know they look for it in commercial settings.

best of luck. i hope things go well. you deserve the right to work in your shop in peace

chris

My school shops go through Fire Marshall inspections yearly. They look for trip hazards, doorways available in emergency, at the school have to be marked with a lit exit sign. Fire extinguishers up to date and correct, hung with nothing hanging over or near them that could eventually hide them (under the coat rack) using them to hang a mask on, etc. Thumbs up, meaning yep, they look for the little red trash can that you have to step on to open the lid and the lid closes securely, I guess for the BLO rags. So if they do flare up, the fire is self contained. This is not to be a trash can containing other paper towels and trash. For a private residence, a metal shelves with a door, in a pinch, a devoted filing cabinet properly marked should work or at least show you are serious about proper storage and again, it is a private, not a public workshop. He will look for properly grounded, if ANY cords have the ground cut off, do not have them anywhere they can be seen. Recep covers, switch covers, properly marked electrical panel, if I think of others, will send you a pm. I like others have stated, do not fear, just have it clean, not polished, in fact if you are working when he shows up, better in my book. If he does find something, it could be a good thing. Unless he is the Uncle in law to the NN. Then, we go to plan B, Larry and I'll come up. I can show you how to make a great potato gun from pvc, electric igniter, and hair spray!!!!! If his house is within 1/8 of a mile of yours, we can build a potato gun that will hit his house and yard!!!!! You'll do fine, you'll create another person in your corner, it has been a long road, sorry you had to trek it, but we all are learning because of it.

There is no predicting what the guy is going to look for. I have dealt with several. From the one that seemed to look only at railings on the stairs. To the one that only wanted to know how much you where donating to his favorite charity:thumb:

Jonathan Shively;199775 Unless he is the Uncle in law to the NN. Then said:
I'll see your spud gun and raise you a 3 pound cannon.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
But we don't need range Jonathan. From what I hear we could spit on the guys front door from Rob's deck.:thumb:

Wife works in insurance and Dust is a big thing when it comes to fire inspections so having a proper DC hooked up would be a good thing to have also a proper sized panel with the right sized service so that you are not overloading the service. Proper storage of chemicals and old rags not stored in the shop. Smoke detectors with either 120volt service and / or fresh batteries. Extinguishers properly placed and enough and the right kind for what might catch fire. Those are the things she mentioned to me when I was setting up my shop. Schools are different as then you are dealing with more people so clutter and exits to do with commercial buildings become an issue.

My $.02 is to remove any flammable or combustible substances from the shop unless you want to get UL rated fire cabinet and rag container. If asked, I would probably state that I am looking into acquiring them when there is a need. And, if it's true, I would point out the use of water based finishes.

As stated by others, fire marshals are funny folk. I've had a fair amount of experience with them and their interests and levels of concern vary widely. The best advice I can offer is to make sure everything is clean and tidy - little dust and no flammable substances left about. And, be honest and respectful with the guy. Chances are, once he determines you're not a commercial operation, he's going to consider the visit a waste of his time.

Good luck.

Invite the Fire Marshall with open arms. Every person that you can get on your side, especially when that person is a person in a position of authority within the municipality is a vote for your side. Hide nothing, ask for help and advice, let them do their job. Once they've realised that you are playing the game according to the municipalities rules, they will not only leave you alone, but they will tell the NN to quit. They don't have the time or resources to continue dealing with chronic complainers who have no real basis for the complaints. Once they've issued the "ignore" order, have your lawyer write the NN a letter, politely requesting that they stop the harrassment. That's the first letter.......The second letter is for the threat of lawsuit.

cheers

John

Great advice, I agree with :thumb:

Also have some hot coffee and donuts on hand, and get him to sign your guest book....... you did get a guest book like I suggested........ right :D :wave:

OK - so HOW - are you registered with your city/town.

Are you a business - or - are you a homeowner with a hobby?

Do you hsve employees? - besides your imediate faimily/

Let the inspector in. Let him tell you what you need to fix - then fix it.

Let him put his seal of approval on it after the fixes.

The insurance company - will welcome his seal of approvel.

Use it ALL to your benefit.

Got inspected - got insurance - nothing hidden!

Everything is sbove bosrd?

No Problrm - ight?