Lobstrosities...

The wife just had 2 1 pound lobsters tonight:thumb:
She was displeased with the cook at the restaurant for wrecking them. He also over cooked my scallops and sword fish. The boy did not complain about his crab legs. I hate spending good money on bad food.:doh:

The only good lobster I have had was on a cruise ship. Living in Minnesota doesn't help. I did manage to get kicked out of an all you can eat seafood buffet. It took 4 hours and a bit of alcohol but the four of us ate them out of frog legs.

Hey Frank, My brother from Florida introduced me to rock shrimp a long time ago. They are little mini-lobsters. Their shell is quite hard so after de-veining them you lay them out on a cookie sheet and baste them good with garlic butter and stick them in the oven for a few minuets until the meat curls up. ...........Dang it now I'm drooling on the keyboard.

Not the same varmit as crayfish. I've et them and they always taste a little like mud too me. We used to catch those by sticking a finger down their mud holes. You know when you get a big one. :rofl:

I don't remember that those rock shrimp were quit as rich as lobster. We did spend some time in the keys diving for spiney lobsters. They're OK eating. I'm addicted to any kind of fishing and I sure would like to get back down there and spend a quality month or 2 being a beach/ pier bum. Goofy thing is that I have relatives down there who own fishing boats and have never quite got the ducks lined up to go out after big fish........one of these days.......

Blue ones make me real sick, even the smallest bit. I must have some sort of allergic reaction since I ate one for the first and last time in my life. Curiosly enough I can eat shrimps,crab and other similar creatures without a problem

Red ones I don't know I don't remember eating them.

Here they are, what I mean for red ones "langosta" in spanish and blue ones "bogavante" in spanish.

I've looked it up at wordreference.com and they put the same name "lobster" for both.:dunno:

Red ones haven't got claws, blue ones have

Attachments

• langosta1.gif
    langosta1.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bogavante.jpg
    bogavante.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 14
I don't get what all the fuss is about?

I have had lobster a number of times - even had a buddy come over to cook some live Maine lobsters specially flown in. He wanted to show me what I was missing...I was underwhelmed again :eek:

I love shrimp, crab, scallops, crawdad - and I can eat lobster, but it is not special for me. Maybe it's too subtle for my pallet.:dunno:

I guess that means there will just be more for y'all!

I don't get what all the fuss is about?

I have had lobster a number of times - even had a buddy come over to cook some live Maine lobsters specially flown in. He wanted to show me what I was missing...I was underwhelmed again :eek:

Rick
I'm sorry, but I have to weigh in here, since Chuck seems to be carrying the whole load of upholding the reputation of the fine, North Atlantic hardshell lobster on his shoulders. Some even dragged the discussion over to some mysterious southern creatures! It's just not right! :D

Rick, I suggest you were "underwhelmed" because the setting was wrong. You need to enjoy your lobster surrounded by friends, as sunset approaches, boiled in seawater over a driftwood fire on a rocky beach along the Bay of Fundy or the Maine coast, accompanied by a few samples of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. Tossing the shells back from whence they came is part of the experience. Come along, we'll make it happen!

Oh, so many rookies :rofl:
First of all the only crustation that should be allowed to be called a lobsta (thats lobster for you non New Englanders) is a Maine or New Hampshire lobsta. Everything else are sea spiders at best :).

Second. Two 1 pound lobstas (called chicken lobstas) is a light snack.:rofl:

The only way that lobstas should be served are as a salad served in a grilled New England style hot dog roll. Boiled or steamed and served with plenty of hot drawn butter, or baked with a Ritz cracker and Maine scallop stuffing.:thumb: :rofl:

Chuck, sounds like you ate at the Weathervane :( :rofl:

Warning....war story..cold war that is. Back in the sixties I was stationed at an Air Force radar station out on the Aleutians. Not much around except a king crab processing plant and an airport about 15 miles away. Supplies came to us via 'cool barge' once a year when the ice and weather would permit. Sometimes rations would get scarce and we would be short on some food supplies until the next barge arrived. Anyways, meat was in short supply. The crab season closed unexpectedly early the year I was there and the processing plant shut down. About three days later a crab boat pulled up to the processing plant dock with a full load and no place to go. We commiserated with the crew over a few beers and as a result ended up with more than just a few pick up truck loads of live king crab fresh out of the Bearing Sea. We cleaned and froze crab for a week and ate crab until we ran out of butter. Then we traded crab with other sites for more butter and ...steaks!! Surf and turf on the menu anytime we wanted it!! mmmmm....dunno which I'd rather have...a pick up load of king crab or lobster...either would get me drooling.

I grew up in New Bedford Massachusetts

Trust me - those "Maine" lobsters don't just come from Maine.

My aunt had an apartment house in N.B. and a lot of the tenents were lobstermen. They often times paid the rent with lobsters - LOTS - of lobsters, and fresh fish, and fresh scallops. MOST of the scallops come from New Bedford.

I lived with my aunt and ate those lobsters, and scallops, and fish -- LOTS and LOTS.

I love lobster - have eaten far more than 2 pounds - and - have NEVER - had my fill.

It kills me to see the price of all that stuff in the market - when I was growing up - it was all free.