First Hollow Form (in progress)

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd show the roughout of my first official hollow form with the new Monster rig. This is a little 4" x 3" piece of walnut immediately after taking it out of the DNA bath tonight. The wall thickness is about 3/8", so I still have some wood to work with for refining the form a little more. I was just jazzed to be able to get pretty even wall thickness through a 1 1/4" diameter opening.

Walnut HF 1a 800.jpg Walnut HF 1b 800.jpg

The pics don't show it, but there is some nice figure in this piece of wood. It should finish out nicely in a month or so. Assuming of course, that I don't blow something up between now and then. :eek: I've been stocking up on turning blanks from eBay in anticipation of getting the hollowing rig, so I've got a number of nice blanks waiting to meet their destiny (or doom, depending on your viewpoint). Now that I've test-driven the rig, I've seen that my factory tool rest is a bit too high. I've got a new one on order, and I'll probably wait until getting the new one before turning any more with the rig. Plus, I've got some flatwork orders I need to take care of. ;)

...................Now that I've test-driven the rig, I've seen that my factory tool rest is a bit too high. I've got a new one on order........................

What, you don't own an angle grinder................ :eek: ;) :D

Looks good, I'm going to have to make me one of these captured hollowing rig things, one day...... :wave:

Last edited:
Lookin' good, Vaughn.
Stu, you have a welder and access to steel and stuff. Why not make your own tool rest to suit your tastes and needs? Lot cheaper and maybe better than store bought. I get mine made at a local weld shop for about $10.00 each.

NON TURNER

i have a simple question for you folk, how do you get your shavings out of the hollow form. to me they would build up inside there to some extent.:dunno: and no i am not intersted in gettin hooked:D

You are correct Larry. In fact, the recommended hollowing method has you turn a chamber of sorts to allow for that. Then you blow them out with an air compressor.......use your fingers..........lathe off, of course!

A washer welded perpendicular to a piece of welding rod or stiff wire works well too. You make up a few of different sizes for different openings. The first method I used was a 2' piece of 3/4" plastic tubing. Stop the lathe and blow out the shavings. Just don't try to look in and blow out at the same time. DAMHIKT.

Last edited:
i have a simple question for you folk, how do you get your shavings out of the hollow form. to me they would build up inside there to some extent.:dunno: and no i am not intersted in gettin hooked:D

I swiped the Crevice tool from SWMBO's sweeper, attached to a reducer and small section of shop vac hose to reach in a suck out shavings. I suspect that should I ever gain courage or skill enough for a narrow necked piece I could modify with a smaller hose.

Vaughn looks pretty good for your first rough out. I will get my Monster HF rig ordered tomorrow. Can't wait to give it a go but Randy said 2 to 3 weeks. Can't wait to see the finished product.