white oak makeup vanity

finished, well, one more rub on or two

shes happy, Im ready to junk and start over.
Ya get to a point where so many errors lead to more errors and the more ya try to repair, the more repairs ya need.
Never build anything till you have all the hardware and have installation instructions. So I learn as I go along.
She has no problem with the top having a split in it.
You can notice a hole where I was off by a 64th maybe, and instead of shaving the plastic mirror holder down, I just decided when I have time, to patch the hole with some sawdust and poly, it wont be noticed.
Other than that, Ill slap on one more rub on coat of poly, and maybe even wipe down the mirror.

( I know the mirror is not centered, it cannot be, that is the largest mirror I can fit in that exact spot, I dont want to glue it in)

one positive thing I can say, white oak is so easy to stain, plane and sand. It takes finish easy, it sands so nicely and smooth, and its fairly attractive.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1632 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1632 (Medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
  • wood stuff 1638 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1638 (Medium).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
  • wood stuff 1639 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1639 (Medium).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 32
  • wood stuff 1641 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1641 (Medium).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Allen, that came out realy nice. We are our own worst critics so don't be to hard on your self. Next time your in a furniture store stop and take a look at some of the junk that is out there. In doing restorations I have the opportunity to see some of the misteaks made by woodworkers in the past and believe me I see some real bonehead misteaks out there that others miss so don't be so critical. We all make mis... er design changes.
If the customer is happy in the end that is whats important.

allen, you done fine ,,you took and fixed something that at one time you were gonna trash.. that idea of splitting the top to make it work was a fine one.. i have seen other tables or desks done that way and yet when you wee having trouble with your hinges it never downed on me.. so the final job is fine and it works just as the customer wanted that is all that matters.. well done Bud:thumb::thumb:

Allen you a machine and that looks great dont see what all your fuss is about.:thumb:

I have just one question. How is this unit used. :huh::dunno: At first i thought under the seat was storage but the mirror in the lid i dont understand?

Is this to be used while in the bath? Pulled up to the edge of the bath?

rob, this is a very low vanity, most are same height as table.
A girl puts this in her bedroom usually, and fills the table up with makeup.
Then sits there and paints her face till shes happy.
Ill drop it off tomorrow, I brought it in so I can use the router without getting dust all over it.
My daughter sat down at it to see how the light and mirror works out.
Her vanity is double the size and higher, but doesnt have a light.
I used her as a model. Shes sitting on a dining chair, too high for this unit, a low bench will be needed.
this unit is like a micro vanity, made to fit in a very small space in a very small bedroom.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1643 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1643 (Medium).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm late for this one, but being so small and not having much space I would have made it without legs and hang it on the wall, so instead of opening the lid, I would pull the top down, with an automatic swicht for turning on the light as soon as you opened it.

Most problably you also thought about that and went for this concept, but I thought that someone could benefit from your design and this approach.

BTW I think it looks great:thumb::thumb::thumb:

unfortunately,(only space wise) my niece is back home, and shares a bedroom with her sister.
The bedroom is rather smallish.
There is zero wall space. This unit is going in front of shelving, next to the bed. She isnt concerned about the contents of the shelves, she can move the vanity.
Adapting, we call it adapting.

Last edited: