new tealight candle holders

Dan Noren

Staff member
i took advantage of it being such a nice day today (sunny and 37:eek:), and cut the nine sets of arched tealight holders today. another good reason was that for some reason my jet dust collector wasn't working. plugged in, but it's like it wasn't getting any power. the other day, after i finished cutting the blanks and such, i was putting the bench with the bandsaw in it's parking place, but i forgot it was still hooked up to the dust collector, seeing it just in time as it was doing an r2-d2 flop onto it's side. i'll have to give the guys from jet a holler tomorrow, and see what they say. but other than that, it was a pretty productive day today, giving the new bandsaw and drill press a good work out. the set of 3 in the left corner are hickory, the set of 3 in the right corner are ash, and the set of 3 in back are cherry. i have the holes for the holders drilled too, so all that's left is to sand and finish them. once that's done, take some good pics, and off to the web site they go. :D

Attachments

• new tealight holders.JPG
    new tealight holders.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 120
nope, the only damage was to the dust collector day before yesterday. i just got off the phone with the jet guys, and they think it could be that something got jarred with the switch. i'll have to check that out after i pick the wife up from school today.

i did the exploratory surgery on the dust collector today. i pulled the switch, and ran jumpers from one set to the other, plugged it in, and it started right up.:D:thumb: only down side is that i got home just in time for the jet offices to close. i'll have to order 2-3 of them (depending on the price) first thing in the morning. the only visible damage is a slight ding in the back of the impellor housing. other than that, nothing, thing is built like a tank.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

talked with the jet guys this morning. i only ordered 1 switch from them, at around $17 for the switch:eek:, i'm gonna make sure that that dust collector stays on it's feet, and i have a nice slug of lead that will make it a little more bottom heavy. :D:thumb: the new switch should be here in a few days, as it's being sent via ups...

...i have a nice slug of lead that will make it a little more bottom heavy...

Dan,
Use a couple bags of play sand - about five bucks at the borg - instead of the lead. The sand will impart a 'hysteresis effect' in dampening vibration (and noise) in the DC.

BTW, I have to credit that advice to Nick Engler, who used to write woodworking books for Rodale, before the Readers' Digest takeover.

bought a couple new sleeves (1.5" and 3') for my spindle sander the other day. sanded the insides of all the arches, and now all i have left to sand are the tops and sides, then i can start finishing them. :D:thumb:

got a little busy today, as it was a balmy 12 above today. i got all of the candle holders sanded and oiled today. tomorrow they get their coats of shellac.:D:thumb:

Attachments

• candle holders oiled.JPG
    candle holders oiled.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 20
they're done!

got up a bit early today and finished up the arched tealight candle holders today. last coat of shellac, then wax. adding them to the web site today.

Attachments

• candle holders finished.JPG
    candle holders finished.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 10