Grizzly G0698 18 x 47 Lathe

Ok I aint got no fancy lathe in fact its from having bought a total piece of junk that i learnt what a decent lather should have.

So i have to be different and ask why not a Nova DVR XP.

The way i look at it is you aint gonna have this lathe for a short time. You are upgrading here and parting with a long held treasure to fund the new acquisition. So why settle for risk in a unkown new product.

When i consider the stretch of an extra $1000 to the Nova over the time of use its a non issue to me. Not that i have the wherewith all to fund such a purchase now.

Just i look at this like a mattress. You gotta sleep on the thing every night or most nights if you aint on the couch.

Work out the cost of each nights sleep on a good bed over a period of say 5 to 10 years and then its immaterial what the mattress cost within reason.

Same for the lathe. I purchased a cheapy cause it was a present at the time and had to be bought in a hurry with no shopping around or research. Made a huge mistake but it served its purpose and still does work to an extent provided you aint trying to fit one part into another.:(

But when i next turn the corner with a tool budget its gonna be my last purchase and in the value for money line i feel the Nova DVR is the way to go.

Now if you hit the lotto between the time of your post and reading this then of course One way and Big Yellow is another story.

There are features in the Nova that are well documented by those that have them here and I particularly like some of the safety issues and the speeds.

As they say in the classics "the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price" just ask me.

Hey i am just trying to stretch your thoughts. Even if you financed the extra $1000 over 2 years to me it would be worth the difference in the pleasure between the different machines performance. And then there is all the expertise that is available to give you advice cause the user base is already there.

Its like Saw Stop table saw today versus the rest.

Best of luck this aint an easy one.:D

Oh and a parting shot, to my knowledge the Nova aint made in Taiwan but in New Zealand.

Rob,

I considered the Nova, but when I talked to a couple of people who have the DVR, their biggest complaint was lack of weight. These particular people would use a friend's Jet 1642 to start rouniding big bowl blanks because the DVR was too light for their comfort level.

Other than the weight, I think the DVR is a great lathe.

I turn for the fun of it and sell most of my bowls-vessls etc at work and sell fast (not asking alot i suppose). What I noticed is like Bernie said the smaller size sells fast and I to still have a few big pc's that have not sold in the 16" plus diameter.
I took a one day class awhile back on vessel turning and had a chance to use a couple other lathes. The Powermatic and Oneway - both get a big thumbs up - very nice lathes. I used both that day and stayed away from the Jet because I have one and I just wanted to turn on something different.
I own the Jet-1642 with 2hp-220v and dont know much about the DVR or Grizzly. It came well crated and assembled easily - I did have a issue over the Super Nova fitting the spindle because they forgot to send me the adapter with it. They promptly sent it out and all went fine after that. I have called the technical support a few times over other things and have always gotten good support and my questions answered. I am not trying to say that Jet is perfect but when i was looking into it....reviews-etc--- and price i decided not to let price drive my final decision (which it did because i couldnt do the Oneway or powermatic at the time)....................;) It is a fine machine and I enjoy using it.
I dont blame the other post for dissapointment in Jet not back up the jointer problem i would have felt the same - my experience is just different.

Generally speaking, a highly favorable review.
I'm a bit jealous of the electronic braking system. Wish mine had that. PMs also have it.
I also note that naysayers are cut from the same mold ;) on all forums. They say things like: "I know it says (whatever) but they really mean.....". It is built like this but will soon......". Prejudging and supposin' ain't facts.
I note the buyer contacted Grizzly to get points clarified before the purchase. Wise man. I'm glad he is happy with his purchase.

Rob,

I considered the Nova, but when I talked to a couple of people who have the DVR, their biggest complaint was lack of weight. These particular people would use a friend's Jet 1642 to start rouniding big bowl blanks because the DVR was too light for their comfort level.

I have to ask won't a shop built base with ballast make up at least in part if not completely for the lack in weight of the lathe?

Rob,

Your example is not a great one, really, the DVR does not come stock with a heavy duty stand, as many guys, like me, build our own, but they do sell nice solid heavy cast iron legs..........
_DSC1521.jpg cast_i1.jpg
at 22kg each, that is about 100 lbs more weight right there, and a shelf added with a couple of bags of sand, and it is super heavy.

Weight is just about the cheapest thing you can add to a lathe, so why pay shipping for it :dunno:

:wave:

On the other hand, the DVR is nearly twice the price of the Grizzly, and that's without the extension bed, and before building or buying a stand. ;) That said, the somewhat compact size is one of the DVR's many assets.

Your example is not a great one, really, the DVR does not come stock with a heavy duty stand, as many guys, like me, build our own, but they do sell nice solid heavy cast iron legs..........
View attachment 41758 View attachment 41759
at 22kg each, that is about 100 lbs more weight right there, and a shelf added with a couple of bags of sand, and it is super heavy.

Weight is just about the cheapest thing you can add to a lathe, so why pay shipping for it :dunno:

:wave:

I just don't think the DRV is as sturdy when comparing the ways as the Jet or the new Grizzly.

I just don't think the DRV is as sturdy when comparing the ways as the Jet or the new Grizzly.

Rich I beg to differ with you. I have the DVR XP and the bed is every bit of that of the Jet or the new Grizzly. I have turned on the Jet 1642 and have seen the Laguna lathe up close and I don't see a dimes worth of difference in the ways. I bought mine due to space issues. I have since expanded and added a bed extension. Now if I can just build a tailstock tilt piece so I wouldn't have to take the tailstock off to put other things like coring tools, hollowing tools, etc. I would be set.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was repeating what I was told by a couple of people, one actually owns the DVR. I should stay silent on this subject because I have never used a lathe. This is all new territory for me.

On the other hand, I was asked why I ruled out this lathe. I didnt respond at first because I didnt want to start anything.

One issue that I am coming to grips with is that the Grizzly G0698 is the only lathe that will fit my budget at this time... well, when the gun sells. So, this means that the Jet and the Nova are out of my price range. That doesnt give me the right to start cutting the other lathes down.

Last edited:
Hey Rich you didn't ruffle any feathers. I have the DVR and I was just saying that I think the ways are as good as the Jet or Grizzly. I haven't turned on the Griz but have turned on the Jet 1642. I had narrowed my choice down to the DVR and 1642. I opted for the DVR at the time because of space. Now that I have cleaned and rearranged the shop I found I could add a bed extension.

So my friend it takes a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers anyway. So nuff said.

myth busting

Hi all, I came across this forum while searching for info on the new G0698 lathe from Grizzly. Finding accurate info on a new product is often difficult and unfortunately some of these forums make it more so.

I'll appologize in advance for stepping on anyone's toes, especially given this is my first post here, but I feel it is important to set the record straight on several issues so that people can make informed decisions regarding these expensive purchases. So with that, let's get busting.

Myth 1 - the Grizzly lathes are made in the same factory as Jet & Powermatic lathes (both WMH companies). FALSE. The 1642 and 3520 are made in Taiwan and are designs specific to WMH. They are not simply sourced from a 3rd party. The new Grizz 698 and their clone of the 1642 (G0632) are made in China. I don't know if Geetech makes them (or if Geetech has both Taiwanese and Chinese operations).

Myth 2 - The Nova DVR is made in New Zealand. FALSE. They used to be, but they are now being made in China (not Taiwan, but the PRC), though the factory is owned and run by Nova, so their QA/QC is probably much tighter than Grizzly since they are actually manufacturing the product, not sourcing it from a 3rd party. But I don't know if they outsource any of the electrical components which would be of concern since Chinese electricals are notoriously variable in quality (more on that in a moment). I got this info straight from Nova (via an email in broken English).

Not so much a myth, but a clarification on comparable pricing of the DVR. By the time a DVR is outfitted with bed extension, outborad turning attachment, and a stand it is more than $3k (without tax/freight), so it is really closer in price to a 3520, and more than double the price of the new Grizzly. That said, the size of the DVR is really appealing to me because of space, so I'm not knocking it, but I think their pricing, especially since they are now producing in China is too high compared to the competition.

As to motors and the ability to replace them if the need arises, the 0698 has an odd motor (small, square profile with cooling ribs) and I'd be curious to know what frame or mount it would use and whether you could easily find a replacement should you need to. Any thoughts on this?

And that brings up motor performance. There is another recent review over at Sawmill Creek and it isn't good. The variable speed motor basically won't even go down to 100 RPM without bad pulsing and actually stopping under load. On another post here Frank Fusco noted that his 032 won't go close to the claimed range. That is troubling and may be reflective of the performance to be expected. Jet, Nova, and PM will go down to their claimed low speeds (50 RPM for the Jet/PM, 100 for the DVR). If Grizz advertises 50 RPM but in reality it only really functions at 2-4 times that speed, then it is a misrepresentation of the specs. Hopefully they will fix that problem; if not it is a problem that takes them out of the running in my opinion.

I have been followig these posts and one that I started on AAW forums.

Due to the speed issue and being a new product, I ordered a Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp from Amazon yesterday.

I want this to be my first and last lathe purchase, so I have to make the conservative choice , in my opinion.

Jakob Charles said, in part: "Myth 1 - the Grizzly lathes are made in the same factory as Jet & Powermatic lathes (both WMH companies). FALSE. The 1642 and 3520 are made in Taiwan and are designs specific to WMH. They are not simply sourced from a 3rd party. The new Grizz 698 and their clone of the 1642 (G0632) are made in China. I don't know if Geetech makes them (or if Geetech has both Taiwanese and Chinese operations)."

TRUE. Same factory. Check out: http://www.geetech.com.tw/sp.html
Is true. Before I made my purchase, I talked to reps from both Griz and Jet. Same factory. Two differences in the machines. The Jet has a cast iron bed. The Griz has a cast steel. Which is better/worse is one of those never ending debates. The motors are outsourced to different factories by Geetech. Nobody was able to say what the differences are or whether one was better/worse than the other.

Jakob also said, in part: "And that brings up motor performance. There is another recent review over at Sawmill Creek and it isn't good. The variable speed motor basically won't even go down to 100 RPM without bad pulsing and actually stopping under load. On another post here Frank Fusco noted that his 032 won't go close to the claimed range. That is troubling and may be reflective of the performance to be expected. Jet, Nova, and PM will go down to their claimed low speeds (50 RPM for the Jet/PM, 100 for the DVR). If Grizz advertises 50 RPM but in reality it only really functions at 2-4 times that speed, then it is a misrepresentation of the specs. Hopefully they will fix that problem; if not it is a problem that takes them out of the running in my opinion."

I have never experienced "pulsing" at any speed. I have never seen a comment about "pulsing" until this thread. My G0632 does not 'pulse' at any speed. What I said is that between 0 rpm and about 200 rpm in the low range, the lathe doesn't turn at all. Looking at the website ad, there is no claim by Grizzly that the G0632 will run at 50 rpm. I will admit, the 0 to whatever statement is a bit misleading. Personally, I find the 200 rpm speed OK for all that I have ever tried on the machine. I see no misrepresentation.
Can you state from experience the machine will stop under load at certain speeds? Really, doesn't matter, I'll betcha ANY lathe can be stopped under load at any speed if the load exceeds the machines capabilities. And, in such a case that 'load' would be beyond reasonable, to say the least.

I have to comment. I hope your comments were intended to be objective. Sadly, to me, they sounded like you have a nit to pick.

Frank, explain how the Jet and Grizz can be made in the same factory when the Jet is made in Taiwan and the Grizz is made in China? Unless this is a very recent development it is impossible since all of the Jets I have looked at are labeled as made in Taiwan. If in fact Jet is now sourcing the 1642 from China I'd like to know about it, but every source of info I've received and seen says Taiwan. Oh, and according to the spec sheet for your lathe, it says the bed is cast iron, not cast steel. Go to the Grizzly site. As for the Geetech site; what am I looking at there? It says nothing about the specific products and models they manufacture.

Also, I never said you claimed to have pulsing issues. Others have, and you (as you repeated) have had problems with the lathe operating at the lower speed range. As for where the Grizzly claims that, look at the specs for the lathe. It says in multiple places 0-1200/3200. Even if it didn't go to zero, you and others have reported that it won't go even close to zero, so what are you debating? The point is, there is inconsistency in the performance and the range as advertised is not the range in actual performance. Maybe you are fine with that, but I and a lot of others are not OK with that, especially when buying something with the impression that performance will be one thing, and in reality something else.

Last edited:
In a very very feeble attempt to be funny... if the lathe is off isn't that "zero" speed? When it first turns on before it starts, doesn't it start from "zero"//:D:D

Re the post that any lathe can be stopped... I have a Jet 1442 and have stopped the piece turning when I had an 8" bowl blank on the chuck and had a catch or got too aggressive with the gouge... the motor didn't stop as the belt could be heard slipping... I would think that if the piece turning was large enough and put enough strain on the motor, and there was something that created a greater stress/strain on the motor any motor would either stop, or cause the belt to slip.
I think the manager/sales representative at Woodcraft/K'ville said the Nova was a direct drive lathe, so no belt to slip... enough strain might stop the motor.
At any rate, this is all conjecture... like an argument about which is better Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc... if they all get you to your point of destination, and once there, who can tell how you got there... If the factory follows the manufacturer's spec in the production of a particular item, does it really matter where the factory is... it's the specs and Quality Assurance that should be questioned.

If Rich is happy with his choice, then it's not for us to tell him it was a bad choice... Rich, you are going to enjoy your new lathe and I'm confident it will last you many many years. :thumb:

Thanks, Chuck.

It is really difficult to choose because there are so many good choices out there. It depends on what you want to do with it, the reviews, and what you feel comfortable with. It is even more difficult when you have never used a lathe before.

I know I will like turning, it is just a matter of getting started in the right way. I have a few teachers lined up.

If the lathes come from the same third party manufacture, what does that have to do with quality?

With third party manufactures, you get what you pay for, simple as that.

That would be like saying a basic Chevy Aveo and a fully loaded Cadillac are of the same quality because they came from the same Chevy factory :huh: :dunno:

08aveo5_02-thumb.jpg

cadillac-cts-v-2009-712496.jpg

Same Factory = Same Car........ :rolleyes: :D

Jakob Charles;204250 If Grizz advertises 50 RPM but in reality it only really functions at 2-4 times that speed said:
Jakob this is straight from the Grizzly engineers. The G0698 low setting speed is suppose to be 100 rpm and the low setting speed of the high end is 330 rpm. They said there catalog and website is wrong. Not sure why they won't fix the website at least. I can understand it would be hard to fix the catalog.

Jakob this is straight from the Grizzly engineers. The G0698 low setting speed is suppose to be 100 rpm and the low setting speed of the high end is 330 rpm. They said there catalog and website is wrong. Not sure why they won't fix the website at least. I can understand it would be hard to fix the catalog.

Understood Bernie (I actually contact Shiraz Balolia directly about it and he reiterated that claim). I was actually referring to the inconsistency of the actual low speed operation that people are reporting. Frank Fusco even stated on another current thread that his G0632 (which is also advertised to operate at the same speeds) won't go much below 200 on the low setting which is 4x the 50 RPM that you get with the comparable Jet or what would be a reasonable expectation for the Grizzly lathes.

I'm in agreement with Vaughn on this and call shenanigans. The 0632 has a different motor and possibly VFD but also apparently suffers the same problems as the new 0698, so this apparently isn't isolated to this new lathe. I think this gives Grizz a black eye and I've pretty much written this lathe off. Too bad because I was really close to pulling the trigger.

I actually wrote Jet to confirm the issues of country of origin and 3rd party manufacture of the 1642, but so far have not gotten a response.