Prison riot joinery

Bill Simpson

In another posting, Kevin asked a Dovetail question and Alan provided a site to see about them. I went to that site and in the pictures....

Does this seem like Overkill with joinery? :huh:

wood_dovetails_005_5.jpg

OKay, so they say it will hold up to preschoolers and prison riots.... But?

If the strength is what is demonstrated, then shouldn't there have been a bolt going both ways? :dunno: Or am I getting Anal again? :dunno: How about a groove to lock in the corner brace?

Just Fodder for thought...

Just an assumption Mr Simpson. but the inside corner of the post is actually all cut free and is being held like a post in that inside corner for the length of the grove the one bolt is going to hold the apron to the leg assmbly on the one side and the corner brace is holding the other side threw a possible glue joint. without the bolt the then all you have is the corner brcea and the inner piece of the legs isnt to sturdy, its been cut on all side and just a filler sorta speak for the length of the joint.

Prison riot, maybe yes. But I don't think there's anything yet invented that can hold up to a relentless preschooler. :p

Prison riot, maybe yes. But I don't think there's anything yet invented that can hold up to a relentless preschooler. :p

I have to agree with you there Vaughn. My first ever wood working project was a sleigh for my 3 year olds "Babies".. First thing she did when she saw it was to crawl into the sleigh herself, followed by her "Babies".

Ha, Maybe it's bar furniture. I told the marines they could bring the troops home- I'll just send my kids over for a week or 2, they can utterly destroy anything in that amount of time. :D