$300.00 - $100.00 toilet

What did I start? :eek:
I've been gone for several days and the 'clog' subject is still going on. Or trying to....:rofl:
Got the plumber bill, $60.00.
Since he has to come several times a year, methinks investing in a professional type auger would be wise at this point.
When he was here he said when the low flow law first went into effect the manufacturers simply cut down the input amount into the tanks making the flush system realy.....uh.....not so good.
But, supposedly, the new ones, with larger throats work efficiently. Mine does, most of the time but it can't handle......uh.....exceptional deposits. Not so good. :(
Time to go auger shopping.
BTW, what do folks do who aren't a little bit handy around the house?

Drain auger

Hey Frank...

I had a blocked sewage line this weekend. :( I went and bought a 50' snake, and spent two hours elbow deep in the waste line... and no joy. A buddy of mine has one of the 'drain baloon' thingies that hooks to the end of a garden hose. It's sturdy rubber with a teensy hole at the end. Fills up with water, expands in the pipe so notning can come back past it, and the water pressure blows the line clear. I was completely dubious... but figgered what the heck. Much to my surprise, in maybe 5 minutes I'd saved the cost of a plumber. Absolutely amazing. I think he said they cost like $12 at HomeDepot and come in two sizes, one tiny for sinks and such, and one for 3-4" line. Did I mention it was amazing? And simple if you can get to a cleanout. I think the smaller one would probably work IN the toilet... same principle.

I can send a pic of the gizo if you'd like. It's one of those things I would hav looked at in the store and immdiately thought, "Yeah... riiiight". But I'm a believer now. :thumb:

Last edited:
I come from a family of plumbers - 2 companies in the family, several generations old. My brother is currently holding the torch. His advice was that i'd never be happy with a throne that cost less than $200. As it turns out, when we replumbed my house i put one in that hit that mark and cheaped out on another one. I learned i should not doubt my brother's plumbing advice.
The cheapo (about $100) has been a constant issue. The other plugged once when my 5 year old had fun with the toilet paper.
Other than that, i suggest lots of Metamucil (just kidding)
paulh

Hey Frank...

I had a blocked sewage line this weekend. :( I went and bought a 50' snake, and spent two hours elbow deep in the waste line... and no joy. A buddy of mine has one of the 'drain baloon' thingies that hooks to the end of a garden hose. It's sturdy rubber with a teensy hole at the end. Fills up with water, expands in the pipe so notning can come back past it, and the water pressure blows the line clear. I was completely dubious... but figgered what the heck. Much to my surprise, in maybe 5 minutes I'd saved the cost of a plumber. Absolutely amazing. I think he said they cost like $12 at HomeDepot and come in two sizes, one tiny for sinks and such, and one for 3-4" line. Did I mention it was amazing? And simple if you can get to a cleanout. I think the smaller one would probably work IN the toilet... same principle.

I can send a pic of the gizo if you'd like. It's one of those things I would hav looked at in the store and immdiately thought, "Yeah... riiiight". But I'm a believer now. :thumb:

+1 for the expanding gizmo, works great.:thumb:

...A buddy of mine has one of the 'drain baloon' thingies that hooks to the end of a garden hose...I think the smaller one would probably work IN the toilet...

I wouldn't do that. The weak link in your toilet drain is the wax ring. Applying too much pressure on it will cause it to fail, potentially leaving you with a real mess under the toilet, and on the floor.

:doh: I wuz just about to thank Kirk and run out to the BORG for one.
Now, I'm bumfuzzled again. :doh:

They work great if you have access to a cleanout, but I don't know if I could get mine (I have the 1" diameter version) around the bends in a toilet. I'd just use a short auger to clear the bowl and a bit beyond the floor, then use the blaster balloon thingy for the remainder of the line.

I don't think you have to go any further than getting it in the first hole. I ran 45' of snake into the line and didn't do diddly... I stuck that ballon in just enough to get through the wye (6" maybe?)... and POOF! It's the water pressure that does the trick.

BTW, I hosed off the snake as good as I could, if anybody local wants one for 1/2 price. ;)

We went thru the toiled selection process a few months back. We have a high roller in the house who regularly makes large deposits too....I tell ya, they'd make a St. Bernard blush. :eek: Both of our upstairs toilets were getting plugged on a regular basis. I always managed to unplug them with a plunger and/or stick to break them up, but it got old, and I'm not always home.

We tried a Mancesa pressure assist toilet in the less critical bathroom first. The intent was to install another in the most overtaxed bathroom if it worked out really well. It was a big improvement but still wouldn't always pass the pop can sized solids, and would still plug on occasion. We did the research, and got recommendations for Toto, Jacuzzi, Gerber, American Standard, and Kohler toilets. The American Standard Champion 4 supposedly has the largest inlet and outlet in the industry, so we got an HD/Lowes price match deal on the Champ 4, and installed it in the most problematic bathroom. No problems yet after 4 months with that one.

Last edited:
We went a little diff'rent route... we've got "two-speed" toilets in the house now. Got a split button on the top, push the smaller left portion & it flushes "small". Push the larger right portion & it does the whole schlamiel.

One problem we've got with these is... the bowl level is REALLY LOW. That also makes the drop zone really small, which in turn means that (even though these are also extra-tall poddies) I have to use a small footstool to get my focus just right.

Checked out the pro style toilet auger at Lowe's, about $50.00. Still cheaper than a plumber visit. Got help from two guys in the plumbing department, both said the bulb/hose affair was for pipes and drains and not reccomended for toilets. Guess I'll pop for the auger tomorrow. Going out of town today. Really, in this day and age, such things should not be a problem.:(